This post is funded with extra-budgetary resources. Extension of the appointment is subject to extension of the mandate and/or the availability of the funds.
Staff members are subject to the authority of the Secretary-General and to assignment by him or her. In this context, all staff are expected to move periodically to new functions in their careers in accordance with established rules and procedures.
Org. Setting and Reporting
This position is located in the Global Compact Office/Business of Tomorrow Unit. The Programme Officer reports to the Chief of the Business of Tomorrow Unit.
Within delegated authority, the Programme Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
• Participates in the development, implementation and evaluation of the strategic engagement activities and initiatives for leading companies in the GC and UNGC's platform on Breakthrough and Innovation; monitors and analyzes the above-mentioned strategic engagement projects and activities; implements strategic engagement activities through collaboration with GC companies and workshops; identifies new growth opportunities, problems, and issues to be addressed and proposes corrective actions;
• Performs consulting assignments, in collaboration with leading GC company participants, by planning workshops, interactive webinars and assisting to develop the action plan leading participant companies will use to guide their sustainability and engagement efforts;
• Researches, analyzes Global Compact's progress on strategic engagement and presents information gathered from diverse sources.
• Assists in Global Compact business engagement policy development, including the review and analysis of issues and trends.
• Closely tracks participant engagement with Global Compact on the Breakthrough Innovation initiative; designs data collection tools to this end; reviews, analyzes and interprets responses, identifies problems/issues and prepares conclusions;
• Prepares various written outputs, such as analytical briefs for the Executive Director, background papers and sections of reports on overall strategic engagement connected with advanced sustainability practices;
• Provides substantive support on sustainability leadership to consultations, meetings and conferences by proposing agenda topics, identifying participants, and preparing documents and presentations;
• Undertakes outreach activities in a concerted effort to recruit business participants to the Global Compact and strengthen engagement; conducts training workshops, seminars and makes presentations on assigned topics/activities to this end;
• Participates in field missions, and delivers speeches and presentations representing the UN Global Compact and Business of Tomorrow at various international and national events;
• Coordinates activities related to budget and funding and prepares related documents/reports such as isssue-specific funding proposals to governments and other key stakeholders;
• Performs other duties as required.
• Professionalism: Knowledge of theories, concepts and approaches relevant to the role of the private sector in advancing UN goals, corporate sustainability, and CSR related national policies. Ability to conduct data collection using various methods. Ability to apply judgment in the context of assignments given, plan own work and manage conflicting priorities. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
• Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
• Planning and Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
Advanced university degree (Master's degree or equivalent degree) in business administration, management, international relations, economics or a related field. A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
A minimum of five years of progressively responsible experience in project or programme management, administration or related area with relevance to the GCO's programmes and mandates, including managing and supporting multi-stakeholder initiatives and multi-lateral processes, is required. Experience in corporate citizenship, as it relates to the collaboration between business and the UN, or other similar large international organization, is required.
English and French are the working languages of the UN Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of French is desirable. Knowledge of another UN official language is an advantage.
Evaluation of qualified candidates may include an assessment exercise which may be followed by a competency-based interview.
United Nations Considerations
According to article 101, paragraph 3, of the Charter of the United Nations, the paramount consideration in the employment of the staff is the necessity of securing the highest standards of efficiency, competence, and integrity, including but not limited to, respect for international human rights and humanitarian law. Candidates may be subject to screening against these standards, including but not limited to, whether they have committed or are alleged to have committed criminal offences or violations of international human rights law and international humanitarian law.
Due regard will be paid to the importance of recruiting the staff on as wide a geographical basis as possible. The United Nations places no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs. The United Nations Secretariat is a non-smoking environment.
Applicants are urged to follow carefully all instructions available in the online recruitment platform, inspira. For more detailed guidance, applicants may refer to the At-a-Glance on "The Application Process" and the Instructional Manual for the Applicants, which can be accessed by clicking on “Manuals” hyper-link on the upper right side of the inspira account-holder homepage.
The screening and evaluation of applicants will be conducted on the basis of the information submitted in the application according to the evaluation criteria of the job opening and the applicable internal legislations of the United Nations including the Charter of the United Nations, resolutions of the General Assembly, the Staff Regulations and Rules, administrative issuances and guidelines. Applicants must provide complete and accurate information pertaining to their personal profile and qualifications, including but not limited to, their education, work experience, and language skills, according to the instructions provided on inspira. Applicants will be disqualified from consideration if they do not demonstrate in their application that they meet the evaluation criteria of the job opening and the applicable internal legislations of the United Nations. Applicants are solely responsible for providing complete and accurate information at the time of application: no amendment, addition, deletion, revision or modification shall be made to applications that have been submitted. Candidates under serious consideration for selection will be subject to a reference-checking process to verify the information provided in the application.
Job openings advertised on the Careers Portal will be removed at midnight (New York time) on the deadline date.
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*