The Atlantic Council seeks a talented and entrepreneurial program assistant/assistant director to assist in implementing a growing array of projects and initiatives related to Africa within a dynamic and fast-paced center at the Council. The assistant director will play a central role in developing and organizing program activities including: high-level speaker series, policy workshops, conferences, strategy sessions, task forces, and coordinating publications and other initiatives. The candidate must have a strong educational background in African political, economic, or security affairs, and will preferably have at least one year of educational, volunteer, or professional experience on the African continent (preference for sub-Saharan Africa). The candidate must be an excellent writer, exceptionally organized with strong interpersonal skills, and capable of working in a fast-paced and culturally diverse environment.
The candidate must be able to conduct graduate-level research on a wide variety of Africa-related topics, while acting as the primary provider of administrative and logistical support for the Center’s public and private events. S/he will report to the Center’s director and deputy director, work closely with the Center’s associate director, and interact daily with Africa Center interns.
The successful candidate will have an entrepreneurial spirit, communicate effectively, and enjoy the fast pace of building upon an established but rapidly growing program. Demonstrated expertise with the region and issues including security policy and conflict prevention, energy and economic growth, poverty reduction and assistance programs, and other priority concerns is vital. The position requires a strong record of organizing programs and events, excellent administrative and communication skills, a positive attitude about tackling complex and dynamic problems, superior writing ability, attention to detail, and a proven aptitude for international security and defense issues.
• Assist Center’s director and deputy director with administrative tasks including scheduling, timesheets, and financial reconciliation as assigned.
• Assume lead responsibility in organizing more than forty Center events per year, including workshops and conferences; liaise with office of external relations and other centers to ensure successful execution of and publicity for Atlantic Council programming and events; provide support to senior Atlantic Council staff and Board members; coordinate travel arrangements and prepare substantive briefing material for guests coming to Washington and for Council trips abroad.
• Draft, edit, and proofread correspondence in accordance with the Atlantic Council style guide, including event invitations, thank you notes, and follow-up correspondence.
• Conduct background research on various topics and be able to condense research materials into digestible written form and oral briefings; serve as rapporteur to Council task forces and workshops; assist in drafting various Atlantic Council publications.
• Delegate activities to and provide guidance for program interns.
• As time allows, provide and deliver expert commentary and analysis on US-Africa policy issues.
• Bachelor’s degree or higher in African studies, international relations, or a related field; Master’s degree a plus
• 0-2 years of relevant experience
• Superior verbal and written communication skills in English; French fluency highly desirable
• Excellent telephone presence and interpersonal skills, including ability to work well with both interns and senior officials
• Proven organizational and administrative skills
• Ability to “go with the flow” and react quickly and professionally to changing circumstances
• Self-starter; comfortable with ambiguity and taking charge to problem-solve
• Highest attention to detail
• Proven research experience and expertise/interest in the African continent
• Interest in and understanding of transatlantic relations, the Atlantic Community, and the core mission of the Atlantic Council
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*