The Intelligence Project’s (IP) Director of Research will manage the department’s research agenda, undertake and produce original research, and broadly manage the day-to-day operations of IP’s Research and Data teams. The Director of Research’s responsibilities will include developing and implementing a comprehensive research strategy for core programs, in particular the annual hate and antigovernment lists; initiating new research projects and partnerships; collaborating in the editorial process to produce research that advances IP’s publishing work; and oversee a team of research analysts and fellows. Management responsibilities will include the recruitment and supervision of research staff; building and maintaining working relationships with internal partners and fostering strong partnerships and accountability with external organizations.
This position is based in Montgomery, Alabama.
- Develop a comprehensive research strategy for the Intelligence Project’s Research and Data arms;
- Work closely with IP’s Director, and the department’s Managing Editor and Director of Investigations, to plan and conduct research projects;
- Assess current research plans and devise new research areas;
- Undertake original policy relevant research and writing;
- Collaborate on the editorial process of research-related publications, including analysis papers and policy briefs;
- Ensure that research produced is of the highest quality;
- Produce policy relevant research, including analysis papers, policy briefings, and other materials
- Present at conferences, conduct workshops, and publish research.
- Delegate work assignments, hire interns and provide leadership to permanent and temporary research staff;
- Supervise timelines and deliverables for IP’s research projects;
- Recruit, supervise, and mentor staff;
- Maintain working relations with relevant organizations;
- Other tasks as determined by the Director, IP.
The ideal candidate for this position will have significant experience in policy research and analysis (ideally in a think-tank environment), demonstrated experience in managing a team of researchers and the ability to translate research and data into coherent and persuasive investigative and policy narratives. Other qualifications include:
- Bachelor’s Degree Required;
- Master’s degree in political science, economics, or a related field strongly preferred;
- Must have a proven record of writing and publishing media friendly and policy-oriented research;
- Attention to detail, strong data analysis and policy writing;
- Program management experience, including a record of overseeing major research projects;
- Strong people management skills;
- Skilled written and verbal communicator;
- Passion for public service;
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment and undertake projects with little supervision.
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*