Provide leadership, management and coordination of Mission security activities. Design, provide and implement security services intended to protect mission staff and assets.
The Head, Safety and Security will work under the guidance and supervision of the SRCC and will be responsible of the following duties:
- Provide advises to the SRCC on all matters of safety and security in the mission area;
- Responsible for the preparation of the contingency/security plan including all aspects of its elaboration, development, implementation and update;
- Maintain continuous lines of communication with security focal points and all other agencies involved in peace keeping and other missions to ensure maximum security coordination;
- Maintain an on-going evaluation of air, land and sea evacuation routes and resources for use in emergencies, ensuring the availability of vehicles, aircraft, vessels, fuel supply and accessible roads;
- Assist in the preparation the draft security plan for the mission headquarters, sectors and designated geographic areas;
- Undertake liaison with other agencies involved in security in the mission theatre to ensure maximum security coordination;
- Assess prevailing mission sector security conditions, identifying security trends and advising the Deputy Chief of Security and staff on potential security problems, such as Improvised Explosive Devises (IEDs), mines, booby traps, hijacks, kidnapping, escape drills, field survival methods, weapon recognition, armed attacks search and rescue (SAR) and evacuations etc;
- Ensure that fire detection devices and fire-fighting equipment are available on the Mission headquarters and sectors, maintain and update fire evacuation plans and conduct fire drills and training as necessary;
- Maintain office security by conducting physical security inspections of facilities, issuance of identity cards, if possible background checks, and entry control;
- Maintain dialogue with authorities and international institutions such as UN agencies, Red Cross/Red Crescent and other agencies in the event of natural disasters;
- Ensure availability of emergency communications system in the sectors by making periodic checks to determine if system is functioning properly; Arrange for necessary repairs or adjustments; Investigate accidents involving AMISOM vehicles and prepare reports of findings;
- Review and approve information contained in Security Plans and ensure dissemination as appropriate;
- Perform other duties as may be tasked by the SRCC.
Master's degree or equivalent in security studies, conflict and peace studies, business administration, political/social science, psychology or international relations, or related fields. A first level university degree, or military/police academy, or senior command and general staff college with a relevant combination of professional qualifications and experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
At least 12 years work experience in a related field with Government, NGO, think tank, or similar multilateral, regional or international institution, of which 5 years must be in a senior managerial position
Skills and Competencies Required
- Ability to work closely with governments, NGOs and multi-lateral institutions in complex political affairs, peace and security undertakings;
- Computer literate and well versed in the use of the Internet, Power Point, Excel and Word;
- Excellent writing, negotiating, analytical and communication skills;
- Ability to plan, organize, coordinate and implement security operations in the field;
- Ability to expeditiously design and implement a wide range of African Union security management policies and procedures;
- Peacekeeping, military, police or security services experience essential;
- Identify priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required;
- Ability to work in a multicultural setting;
- Must be prepared to work in a hardship context and highly pressurized and sometimes hazardous environment.
Proficiency in English Language is a must. Knowledge of Arabic and French would be an added advantage.
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*