AFS-USA is part of a worldwide network of AFS partner organizations that work together to advance global education and foster meaningful connections across cultures. As the network's largest partner, AFS-USA works to increase the global competency of U.S. citizens by providing a variety of international and intercultural learning experiences to individuals, families, schools, and communities. We are proud of our Staff of approximately 200 dedicated individuals, working from our national office in New York City as well as home offices across the county, who collaborate with our more than 4,000 AFS-USA Volunteers to deliver high quality programs and global education resources. These include: immersion based study abroad experiences in over 40 countries worldwide; opportunities to host foreign AFS exchange students; and global learning workshops and curricula for educator, schools and businesses.
The Seasonal Compliance Assistant (SCA) is responsible for the secondary review of host family applications.Job duties include secondary review of host family applications to ensure adherence to AFS-USA's acceptance criteria, AFS International standards and US Department of State Exchange Visitor regulations, as well as CSIET Standards; communications with AFS-USA staff to ensure complete and appropriate screening of host families. The SCA will track and communicate discrepancies to other AFS staff and follow up on missing items as needed and perform other duties as assigned.
Evening, weekend and seasonally variable work hours should be expected. Opportunities for scheduling time off during peak season (July-September) are limited.
- Review host family applications for completeness and compliance with relevant standards, regulations and acceptance criteria and coordinate with relevant staff, volunteers and applicants to ensure completeness, obtain relevant clarification or additional screening steps as appropriate.
- Ensure accuracy and integrity of data.
- Communicate any concerns or issues regarding placement quality to the appropriate Quality Assurance and Compliance Coordinator and/or the Manager of Quality Assurance and Compliance.
- Contact host family applicant references, complete references over the phone and enter information in Global Link, AFS-USA's internal database, as needed.
- Review student participant applications and write corresponding bios.
- Assist with follow-up to field staff and compliance statistic reporting.
- Assist RMCQA staff with other duties as needed.
Additionally Seasonal Compliance Assistant(s) may be asked to temporarily assist with additional responsibilities, including:
- Ensure that the criminal background checks of host family members and volunteers over the age of 18 as provided by a secondary source are completed in a timely manner.
- Provide customer service support via email and phone related to criminal background checks to host family and volunteer applicants and AFS-USA staff as needed.
- Work closely with Team Development and Hosting staff to inform them of any potential delays in the processing of background checks and denial of applicants.
- Review all flagged background checks and work closely with MGLA on any requiring secondary review. If necessary, follow up with host family and/or volunteer applicants on any discrepancies listed on flagged background checks.
- If a volunteer or host family is denied clearance to drive or host, prepare and send notification by certified mail to the applicant. Also, notify the applicant via telephone conversation prior to sending written documentation of the denial.
- Manage Pennsylvania extra searches process and ensure compliance with Pennsylvania law in obtaining required clearances for host families and volunteers.
- Follow up with other organizations when an applicant indicates that they either hosted or volunteered with another high school exchange program and respond to requests from other organizations.
- 1-3 years work experience and/or education that demonstrates effective use of the knowledge and skills listed above, for example experience in admission, customer service, research, quality assurance and compliance.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications
- Ability to be flexible with work schedule
- Experience in international or intercultural education preferred
- Detail oriented
- Comfortable with linear thinking and processes
- Well organized and able to effectively manage multiple priorities under tight deadlines
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written)
- Customer service oriented
- Able to work independently and as a member of a team
- Able to work with confidential information in an appropriate manner
- Able to work with people of diverse backgrounds
COMPENSATION: $13/ hour.
AFS-USA is committed to a work environment in which all individuals are treated with respect and dignity. AFS-USA prohibits all forms of unlawful discrimination, harassment and retaliation, including behavior which targets an individual or group based on perceived or actual characteristics, such as but not limited to: race, color, religion, creed, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions), national origin, age, disability, military service, veteran status, marital status, partnership status, sexual orientation, familial status, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, genetic predisposition or carrier status, alienage, citizenship status, caregiver status, status as a victim of domestic violence, sex offense or stalking, unemployment status, status as a certified medical marijuana patient or any other legally protected classification.
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*