The Development and Outreach Department of Human Rights Watch (“HRW”) is seeking highly-qualified candidates for the position of Associate in its Silicon Valley office to provide administrative assistance to the team in Silicon Valley. The Silicon Valley office serves as an important base for HRW’s development, fundraising, and outreach activities in Palo Alto and the surrounding South Bay. This position is full-time at 40 hours per week and requires availability to work occasional night and weekend events. The Associate reports to the Silicon Valley Director based in Palo Alto.
- Provide administrative support to the Silicon Valley Director, including scheduling, preparing for and taking minutes at meetings, recording and processing divisional finances, and making travel arrangements;
- Assist with prospect and donor cultivation and stewardship with Silicon Valley Committee members and other supporters by coordinating correspondence, contacting donors, scheduling and preparing for donor meetings, tracking communication, preparing donor/prospect research and meeting briefings;
- Provide event support for annual dinners, receptions, committee meetings, briefings, and other events throughout the year by coordinating vendors, timelines, invitations, RSVPs, event materials, and venue details;
- Provide general administrative and operational support to the Silicon Valley office, including providing orientations, answering phones, processing mailings and expenses, maintaining accurate files, responding to requests for information, liaising with vendors related to the operational functioning of the office, monitoring office administration budget, ordering supplies, and handling office maintenance and facilities issues;
- Maintain the Raiser's Edge donor database by updating records and information, processing gifts from all Silicon Valley donors, generating financial reports, lists and queries, updating information, overseeing data entry for special events and ensuring the integrity and confidentiality of the data;
- Prepare, draft, edit, format and distribute correspondence, documents and other materials, including web content for the Silicon Valley website and other relevant social media;
- Assist with the recruitment, supervision, and mentoring of interns; and
- Carry out other duties as required.
Education: A bachelor’s degree in human rights, international relations, social science, or a related field is required.
Experience: A minimum of one year of relevant work experience is required.
Related Skills and Knowledge:
- Prior office/administration experience and strong organizational skills are required.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English are required; proficiency in other languages is desirable.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including patience and a sense of humor, and the ability to communicate with a variety of audiences, including donors are required.
- Ability to work well under pressure while juggling multiple tasks simultaneously is required.
- Self-motivation and the ability to prioritize with minimal supervision and work independently as well as function as a member of a team with staff in multiple locations globally are required.
- Strong analytical skills and the natural curiosity and creativity needed to conduct online research are required.
- Ability to make sound decisions consistent with functions is required.
- Proficiency in computer programs including MS Office applications is required; experience with Raiser’s Edge or other donor databases is desirable.
- Experience with event planning, community engagement, and/or philanthropy is preferred.
- Strong interest in human rights is desirable.
Other: Applicants for this position must possess current US work authorization valid for a minimum of two years from start date.
Salary and Benefits: Salary range starts at $45,150. Human Rights Watch offers comprehensive employer-paid benefits, including medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance, an outstanding retirement savings plan and twenty (20) days of vacation per year.
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*