Under the overall supervision of the Chief Technical Advisor (CTA) and the direct supervision of the UN-Habitat YES Project Manager, the incumbent will be in charge of the following responsibilities:
- Provide substantive guidance and cutting-edge technical expertise on youth issues, needs and desires, on youth led development, mobilizing youth, youth training, etc. to the UN-Habitat Somalia country programme
- Support the UN-Habitat YES (Youth Employment Somalia) Programme Manager by conducting required research and analyses; delivering narrative and financial reporting,
- Take a lead role in project oversight, monitoring and evaluation (including data cleaning and analysing) and ensure the programmes successes are captured well.
- Identify, design and implement capacity building measures on youth employment programming and implementation for government institutions in all YES locations.
- Liaise with youth partners and establish local and international youth partnerships.
- Develop strategies for strengthening the youth centre management structures, selection of beneficiaries and integration into labour market.
- Additional resource mobilization.
Sustain and expand activities in Mogadishu:
- Provide technical advice to Banadir regional Administration (BRA) Training Department to ensure smooth hand-over and sustainable management of the Mogadishu Shaqeyso Training Programme.
- Build capacity of BRA Training Department on youth issues.
- Supervise and provide technical assistance to local trainers while ensuring they are using best practices on effective ways to build relationships with youth participants of the Shaqeyso and other programs at the Mogadishu One Stop Youth Centre (MOSYC)
- Strengthen capacity of Youth Advisory Committee (YAC) to run the MOSYC and to work effectively with the local government while helping build local government capacity to effectively work with youth.
- Lead development of an Urban Youth Policy for Mogadishu based on the principles of the National Somali Youth Policy.
Expand programme activities in Kismayo:
- Lead establishment of Kismayo One Stop Youth Centre (KOSYC), conduct regular missions to Kismayo, negotiate land with authorities and design, negotiate and establish management model for the Kismayo One Stop Youth Centre.
- Lead on participatory planning and mapping exercises conducted with and for youth.
- Lead establishment of Shaqeyso training programme in Kismayo based on the Mogadishu model, adopt to the Kismayo context, conduct Train the Trainers workshop and develop operational plan for the Kismayo Shaeqeyso programme.
- Advise national project staff and local authorities in the registration of vulnerable youth in both Mogadishu and Kismayo, ensure drought victims are given priority
Expand programme activities to Bosasso and Berbera:
- Lead the role out of Lifeskills training in Bosasso, Berbera and Bosasso linked to fishery activities of other UN partner agencies and ensure creation of synergies among YES components. Supervise and train national trainers.
- Provide technical advice and expertise to the Urban campaigns conducted in Bosasso and Berbera, to ensure a youth-led approach for youth by youth.
- Create synergies among YES programme components and to other UN-Habitat country programme activities.
Required Outputs from consultant:
Next to on-going technical advice, backstopping of national staff, the consultant will be responsible for the following outputs:
- Technical advice and guidance on youth issues provided
- Capacity building measures on youth employment programming and implementation for government institutions designed and implemented
- Strategies for strengthening the youth centre management structures, selection of beneficiaries and integration into labor market developed.
- Participatory planning and mapping exercises conducted for the KOSYC.
- Train the Trainers workshop conducted and operational plan for the Kismayo Shaeqeyso programme developed.
- Technical advice and expertise to the Urban campaigns provided.
- Lifeskills training in Bosasso and Berbera initiated and supervised.
Demonstrate integrity by modelling the UN’s values and ethical standards. Promote the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UN-Habitat. Display cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
Advanced university degree in youth studies, peace studies, economics, public/business administration, development studies or related fields. A first level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
A minimum of seven years of experience in training and working with vulnerable youth. Proven experience in executing and managing youth projects, comprehensive experience in overseeing monitoring and evaluation of youth projects and experience in working with government institutions on youth employment. Experience in fund raising for youth projects and working in post-conflict environments is desirable.
Proficiency in English (both oral and written) is required. Knowledge of Somali language is an advantage.
Proven knowledge in project management and coordination.
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*