Counterpart International is currently seeking an Associate Director for the Africa portfolio. This is a full time position based in Arlington, VA. This position will report to the Regional Director for the Africa Portfolio and is a member of the Program Leadership Team (PLT). The AD will work closely with the Regional Director to build a cohesive and high-achieving Africa program management team. The Associate Director will support the Regional Director and provide oversight, management support, and guidance to home office backstopping teams on USAID project management matters and other donor requirements as needed.
- The Associate Director is responsible for providing daily mentoring and coaching to backstopping teams, with a focus on USAID project management, including but not limited to award administration, small grants cycle planning, and project finances.
- Oversee and support the development and regular revision of project work plans and the monitoring systems to track progress and impact against milestones and performance objectives.
- Oversee program design and work planning efforts to ensure responsiveness to donor requirements and feasibility of plans for Counterpart.
- Oversee project budgets and monitor operations to ensure adherence to budgetary controls, internal controls, and timely delivery of programs (as measured by burn rate).
- Identify and collaborate with cross functional teams in the timely development of viable and compliant solutions to issues affecting program implementation and performance.
- Establish a framework for consistent trouble-shooting for field-based HR, finance, compliance or other issues.
- Liaise with other departments to ensure timely support to program implementation.
- As assigned, collaborate with other cross-functional teams to revise internal processes and work flow of critical internal transactions.
- Oversee the finalization of program reports and deliverables; ensuring high-quality reports at all times.
- Ensure that any internal audit findings are fully remediates within 90 days.
- Serve as critical link between field programs and HQ in knowledge management practices and activities.
- Directly engage with the donor and other stake holders including the US Embassy and USAID to share project success and accomplishments.
- Provide technical or managerial support to current program expansion or new business development.
- Contribute and/or take the lead role on special projects related to improving internal systems and procedures including development of effective templates.
- Collaborate with the Human Resources to develop training opportunities that respond to the Africa team’s needs..
- Masters’ degree in political science, international relations or related field;
- Minimum of five (5) years’ experience in a senior-level program management position, including field-based senior leadership, and/or in a senior capacity of significant responsibility with oversight of USAID-funded development programs. Previous work experience in civil society programs.
- Minimum of seven (7) years’ experience in providing technical subject matter expertise in civil society strengthening, capacity building, rule of law, good governance (including legislative strengthening), local governance, anti-Corruption, elections and political competition, media, and/or human rights.
- Proven track record of strategic thinking and problem solving.
- Ability to facilitate, mentor and lead.
- Strong written, verbal and organizational skills.
- Experience working on complex programs with multiple components in fragile environments.
- Demonstrated ability to manage partner relationships (sub-grantees, institutional partnerships.)
- Ability to communicate effectively to create consensus and find common solutions in inter-cultural settings.
- Fluency in written and spoken English. Proficiency in French is desirable.
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*