The Mayor’s Office for International Affairs serves as the liaison between the City and New York City’s international community, which includes 193 Permanent Missions, 114 Consulates, and the headquarters of the United Nations. The Office serves as a global platform from which the City can promote its goals for a more just and equitable society, showcase the diversity of New Yorkers and share best practices with the world. The Office also fosters positive relations and encourages collaboration between the international community and New York City’s agencies and local neighborhoods.
About the Role:
The General Counsel (GC) will oversee the legal operations of the Office. Specifically, the GC is the key legal advisor to the Commissioner and provides strategic legal guidance on operational, administrative, and programmatic activities of the Office as well as on the handling of diplomatic incidents and other international legal matters affecting the City. The GC liaises with City Hall, New York City’s Law Department, local government, the U.S. Department of State, the United Nations, and foreign governments on a range of complex legal matters and issues.
The General Counsel’s duties include, but are not limited to:
· Serves as legal advisor to the Commissioner and City agencies on international legal matters, including relevant diplomatic privileges and immunities resulting from the presence of the United Nations and foreign government representatives in the City.
· Responds to requests from the Legal Department and assists it with litigation on diplomatic incidents, advising and training law enforcement on the application of diplomatic immunities and consular notification.
· Provides legal analysis when addressing complex issues concerning the interactions of the United Nations and foreign government representatives with City local businesses and residents.
· Responds to requests for legal advice from the United Nations and the diplomatic and consular corps concerning U.S. federal, state and local laws.
· Works to ensure compliance with local laws and regulations by resident diplomatic and consular representatives, including parking rules, health and safety codes, and payment of appropriate real estate taxes.
· Deals with complex, significant matters that cut across legal and related areas.
· Conducts research and analysis of specific legal questions and prepares memoranda and opinions setting forth research results, recommendations, and conclusions in a variety of legal and non-legal areas.
· Keeps current on legislative issues, statutes, decisions and other important legal developments that may affect the Office’s interest.
· Attends relevant interagency and external meetings, diplomatic and consular receptions, and City events as a representative of the Office.
· Performs other duties as assigned.
· Juris Doctor (J.D.) degree from a law school accredited by the American Bar Association, with admission to the New York State Bar required
· Minimum of five years of relevant work experience
· Overall broad legal knowledge and experience in international law
· Excellent communication skills; written, oral, and negotiation skills, including ability to convey complex information to a variety of audiences
· Strong drafting, research, analytical, and negotiation skills
· Proven general counseling experience in government environment
· Ability to develop legal strategy and objectives
· Excellent judgement with high degree of professional ethics, integrity, and gravitas
· Experience developing and managing relationships involving diverse groups and individuals
· Knowledge of key players and constituencies in New York City government and New York’s international community
· Excellent interpersonal and listening skills, including listening to unspoken and deeper-level issues
· Must have the ability to work independently; actively seek collaboration; support colleagues in their work and work in a multicultural, multilingual environment
· Must have excellent planning and organizational skills and be able to effectively juggle multiple projects with superior attention to detail
· Must be results-oriented and have a demonstrated ability to acquire understanding and absorb new information rapidly
· Ability to be flexible, adaptable, and to work under pressure in a fast-paced environment
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*