Resident Senior / Program Manager for Political Parties: Tunisia
In late 2017, Tunisia will hold its first-ever democratic municipal elections, which will afford citizens the opportunity to elect the individuals responsible for developing communities and improving public services—issues directly affecting Tunisians' daily lives. To help Tunisian political parties prepare to conduct local campaigns for the first time, the National Democratic Institute (NDI) seeks to hire a Resident Program Manager for Political Parties who will help coach and train political parties to implement campaigns to increase engagement with citizens, develop responsive platforms, and integrate women and youth in party activities. The Program Manager will design and conduct activities such as consultations, training workshops, and interparty forums, and maintain regular contact with program participants and partners. NDI seeks candidates with proven leadership and management skills, coupled with significant political experience. Relevant professional experience working within political party structures and/or in local or national government is expected. Fluent French or Arabic is strongly preferred. This position will be based in Tunis, with frequent travel throughout the country to meet program goals.
- Manage and implement NDI's political party program in Tunisia, including the planning and coordination of program activities to strengthen parties' engagement with citizens, policy development and campaign capacity, and inclusion of women and youth.
- Develop and lead the implementation of individualized party training plans, in consultation with national and local party leaders, based on the needs of the parties.
- Design and conduct training sessions (workshops) and ongoing consultations (technical assistance and coaching) to political parties in Tunisia, including in the capital Tunis as well as in regions outside the capital.
- Develop targeted training and reference material for participating parties.
- Establish and maintain working relationships with key Tunisian political party leaders and members.
- Establish and maintain strong working relations with the donor and diplomatic communities, international organizations, and in-country partners, including political and elected officials and local civic organizations.
- Monitor assigned project's annual budget, providing a full, accurate and timely accounting of all funds.
- Ensure adherence to both NDI and donor financial regulations, and respect of procedures that guarantee the integrity of all financial transactions.
- Consult regularly with Washington-based staff on program progress and results, as well as local political developments.
- Directly supervise local staff and international consultants to ensure that program activities are completed as planned and financial and program-related transactions adhere to internal NDI and donor regulations.
- Oversee activity report submissions, ensuring submission to the Resident Country Director and DC-based program staff in a timely manner with thorough and high-quality data.
- Liaise with NDI's Washington-based Middle East and North Africa team and administrative departments to ensure all significant administrative issues are addressed and resolved and that all follow-up is performed as requested.
- In partnership with the Resident Country Director, ensure compliance with national laws, NDI and donor administrative and reporting requirements, as well as appropriate implementation of field office policies and handbook.
- Represent NDI and its program at public events and functions.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor's Degree, preferably in International Relations, Regional Studies, Political Science or related subject; graduate degree desired.
- A minimum of seven (8) years' experience working in political parties and/or in implementation of political development programming; minimum of ten (10) years of relevant experience for the title of Senior Program Manager. Particular experience in Tunisia or the Middle East and North Africa preferred.
- Ability to share skills and experience with others as a trainer and/or advisor.
- Solid experience in all aspects of program management, including design, coordination, operations, and financial and human resources management.
- Strong interpersonal, communication and networking skills, and a demonstrated ability to build and maintain professional relationships in a multicultural setting with a wide range of audiences, from members of the donor community to local party leaders.
- Proven capacity to meet program goals while managing financial and administrative responsibilities; experience in results-oriented program design, strategic planning, and program evaluation preferred.
- Superior oral and written communication skills in French and/or Arabic highly preferred; strong language skills in English required Experienced management and leadership skills in order to lead, inspire and motivate staff where results are clearly beneficial.
- Working knowledge of PC-based word processing and spreadsheet applications.
- Experience with Google Apps (Gmail, Calendar, Google Drive, G+, etc.) strongly desired.
- Ability and willingness to travel to locations that may be remote and difficult to reach.
NDI is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, national origin, political affiliation, religion, gender, disability, and/or sexual orientation.
To apply, please visit NDI's website at https://www.ndi.org/careers.