- Competitive package with (employer pension contribution and other benefits);
- 2 year fixed term with possible extension;
- Opportunity to work for a leading organisation working with and for older people globally.
If you're looking to progress your career in a great working environment, please read on.
Our employees have a wide range of benefits including 30 days holiday (plus bank holidays), life insurance, enhanced maternity and adoption pay, and generous employer pension contribution. We also actively support our staff with a variety of flexible working arrangements to help balance work and home life.
HelpAge International's vision is a world where older people fulfil their potential to lead active, dignified, healthy and secure lives. We are the secretariat of the HelpAge global network, bringing together more than 114 affiliates and 200 partners working with older people in over 50 countries.
The Asia Regional Office is based in Chiang Mai Thailand, where there is a team of Regional Programme Advisers, providing technical leadership in a specific sector. The Regional Programme Advisers have 8 key functions:
- Providing cross-country technical support to country offices and network members;
- Project management, as defined thematically or geographically;
- Network development in their thematic area of geographic area of responsibility;
- Regional advocacy and representation in their technical field and their geographical area of responsibility;
- Resource development in their technical field, in collaboration with Regional Resource Development Manager;
- Knowledge management in their technical field;
- Team based support for other sectorial work of the regional or global offices;
- New initiatives and contribution to other areas of work in the scope of multifunctional approaches.
The Regional Programme Adviser – DRR and Humanitarian Response specifically will be responsible for regional leadership of HelpAge’s emergency preparedness and humanitarian responses, and provide global leadership to the Disaster Risk Reduction portfolio. This includes offering high quality technical advice, training, capacity building and engagement in national, regional and global advocacy and policy work. A core element of the role will be to oversee the initial phases of regional humanitarian responses. The post-holder will be based in Chiang Mai. He/she will be required to spend at least 30-40% of the time providing hands-on support to HelpAge and network partner staff in the region.
- Providing technical advice in inclusive and integrated Humanitarian Response, DRR and Resilience to HelpAge, network members and implementing partner staff;
- Lead regional emergency preparedness implementation and initial phase of humanitarian responses;
- Developing and delivering a regional advocacy and policy influencing strategy promoting inclusive and integrated programmes and representation of the HelpAge network in national, regional and global forums;
- Supporting programme and project design and delivery, particularly of training and capacity building for community based organisations, HelpAge and network partners’ staff, implementing partners and third-party organisations;
- Supporting project and programme monitoring, evaluation and learning in collaboration with country staff;
- Facilitate HelpAge’s global working group on DRR and Resilience.
Essential skills, knowledge and experience
- Understanding of international development and disaster risk management, climate change, and humanitarian interventions;
- At least 10 years of experience in project management in the field of DRR and humanitarian responses, preferably in Asia;
- Strong technical knowledge in community based organisations, disaster risk reduction and disaster risk management at grassroots levels;
- Essential work experience and proven knowledge of DRR/humanitarian issues and challenges in context of countries within Asia region;
- Capacity to design project concepts, draft project outlines, proposals and budgets;
- Proven ability to influence others to advance towards successful outcomes, including government, UN agencies and donors through successful advocacy;
- Experience and capacity in developing research and learning work;
- Experience in strategic planning and reporting;
- Fluent in English with strong writing and organisation skills;
- Ability to work in multi-cultural, multi-ethnic teams;
- Ability to travel extensively at short notice.
- Knowledge and experience working with older people’s issue;
- Experience working international network, globally or in the context of Asia.
Closing date: 26 May 2017
Interview week: 29 May – 2 Jun, 2017
Start date: as soon as possible
To apply for a job at HelpAge – Asia Pacific Regional Office, please submit the following documents:
- A covering letter (which should refer the person specification for the job);
- Your current curriculum vitae (3 pages maximum);
- Three referees, including your most recent employer.
Please help us monitor the effectiveness of advertising sources by clearly stating where you first learned about this vacancy.
Please email your application to [email protected] before the closing date to be considered for the shortlist.
With a view to minimising our administration costs we are unfortunately only able to contact again those candidates that have been shortlisted for interview.
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*