This post is located in the Policy and Programme Division, at the Nairobi duty station.
Under the supervision of the Chief of the Policy Coordination Office, the incumbent is responsible for the following:
- Coordinates and positions UN Environment as the authority in the delivery of the environmental dimension of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development using integrated approaches that include interlinkages of the Paris climate change agreement, Sendai Framework on disaster risk reduction, the Quito declaration on human settlements for all, and other relevant policy decisions:
- Coordinate, and increase UN Environment’s visibility internally and externally around the 2030 Agenda and the Sustainable Development Goals;
- Strengthen collaboration with UN agencies, specialized organizations, Multilateral Environmental Agreements, and environment stakeholders, strengthening partnerships at different levels, including at regional level;
- Ensure UN Environment’s representation in the different ongoing processes linked to the 2030 Agenda and promote the integration of the environment in the social and economic dimensions of the Agenda;
- Coordinate UN Environment’s work to ensure coherence internally and supporting the reflection and adoption of the integrated approach;
- Promote UN Environments added-value in the implementation of the 2030 Agenda including the role it should play in capacity-building;
- Provide analytical capacities and compile critical information on the subject;
- Support the advocacy, mainstreaming and outreach aiming at scaling up UN Environment’s work in the implementation of the 2030 Agenda;
- Facilitate the development of strategic partnerships and foster policy integration at headquarters level with other governing bodies;
- Work closely with the Sub-Programme coordinators and other projects managers, ensuring that the implementation of the Programme of Work and Medium Term Strategy are aligned to the 2030 Agenda and that Sustainable Development Goals are properly mainstreamed in UN Environments strategic documents;
- Coordinates policy development, including review and analysis of issues and trends, work closely with Divisions, Regional offices and Multilateral Environmental Agreements to offer to Member States support in the development of relevant environmental policies, laws and norms to achieve the 2030 Agenda and the Sustainable Development Goals at the local, national, regional and global levels using integrated approaches;
- Organizes and prepares written outputs e.g draft background papers, analysis sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications, for example contribute to the development of a High Level Political Forum input document and UN Environment Assembly outcome document in light of the 2030 Agenda and the Quadrennial Comprehensive Programme Review;
- Coordinate the coherent use by UN Environment of integrated and nexus approaches in the delivery of services and tools to member states, working with diverse partners, including through South-South and Triangular Cooperation;
- Participates in the development, implementation and evaluation of assigned programmes/projects, for example; monitors and analyzes programme/project development and implementation; reviews relevant documents and reports; identifies problems and issues to be addressed and proposes corrective actions; liaises with relevant parties; identifies and tracks follow-up actions;
- Provides substantive support to consultative and other meetings, conferences, etc., to include proposing agenda topics, identifying participants, preparation of documents and presentations, etc.;
- Performs other duties as required.
- Professionalism: Knowledge and understanding of theories, concepts and approaches relevant to the environmental dimension of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, taking into account universality and integration; and the interlinkages of the 2030 Agenda with other international and regional policies related to sustainable development. Experience working at national and regional levels, delivering support to member states and working with diverse partners. Proven ability to communicate clearly the interlinkages of diverse sustainable development issues and the use of integrated approaches that balance the environmental, social and economic of sustainable development. Conceptual analytical and evaluative skills to conduct independent research and analysis, including familiarity with and experience in the use of environmental, social, and economic data and information to draft policy briefs and other reports for decision making. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations;
- Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; Tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience; Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed;
- Planning and organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; Identifies priority activities and assignments; Adjusts priorities as required; Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing of work; Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; Uses time efficiently.
Advanced university degree (Master's degree or equivalent in in international relations, environmental policy/science, business administration, project planning and management, or related disciplines, is required. A first level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
A minimum of seven years (7) of progressively responsible experience working in policy, inter-governmental and inter-agency activities related to sustainable development, programme planning or related area, is required. Working experience in an international organization at international or regional level is desirable. Knowledge of UN Environment, 2030 Agenda and Sustainable Development Goals, is an advantage.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this post, fluency in written and oral English is required. Working knowledge of other UN official languages is desirable.
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*