ABOUT THE FAIR LABOR ASSOCIATION
The Fair Labor Association (FLA) is a multi-stakeholder initiative that combines the efforts of industry, civil society organizations, and colleges and universities to promote and protect workers’ rights and to improve working conditions globally through adherence to international standards. The FLA is headquartered in Washington, D.C., and has offices in Geneva, Switzerland and Shanghai, China. For more information, visit www.fairlabor.org.
The position is responsible for the overall management of the FLA’s Accountability program. The Director of Accountability will provide leadership and management to the FLA’s global programs including due diligence activities, the Sustainable Compliance Initiative (SCI), company, factory and agricultural evaluations and the Accreditation Program.
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide program leadership, guidance and innovation to operationalize FLA’s strategic direction, including an enhanced focus on accreditation.
- Manage implementation of accreditation for affiliated companies labor compliance programs, constent with the FLA Charter and adopted policies and procedures.
- Ensure that the implementation of the SCI methodology and evaluation of assessment reports, enhance FLA’s worldwide credibility and support a seamless connection to the process of accreditation.
- Help engage with external audiences (retailers, investment community, consumers) to educate about FLA’s accreditation program, including the methodology. .
- Oversee, with the Chief Accountability Officer, a global Quality Control program to detect, report and improve on quality issues. Design and implement a management strategy and process to evaluate service providers.
- Enhance standard operating procedures, tools, and templates for use in evaluations and assessments;
- Strategically plan for and map company-level due diligence (currently for all PC and PS and Category B Affiliates). Ensure the timely completion of the FLA assessment cycle and collaborate with FLA assessors to improve the quality of the SCI Monitoring.Liaise with stakeholder services and senior management team.
- Represent the FLA at meetings and professional gatherings, as appropriate.
- Maintain a thorough understanding of workplace conditions, labor standards, and statutory obligations in factories in the region.Provide technical advice, problem-solving assistance, answers to questions regarding program goals, and policy interpretation.
- Participate in training programs and professional development workshops and conferences as available and required.
- Supervise, hire, train, and evaluate assigned staff. Work with employees to correct deficiencies and recommends and implements corrective action and discipline.
- Assist the Chief Accountability and Innovation Officer in preparing and monitoring long and short-range departmental goals.
- Proven track record of success facilitating progressive organizational change and development within a growing organization
- Demonstrated history as a superior manager, including track record of influencing and engaging direct and indirect reports and peers
- Excellent judgment and creative problem-solving skills including negotiation and conflict resolution skills
- Strong analytical abilities and attention to detail
- Ability to develop systems and procedures and enforce policy and standards
- Ability to train staff to ensure consistency in implementation
- Ability to operate as an effective tactical as well as strategic thinker
- Fluent in English (mandatory) and one other language of any major sourcing country (bonus)
- Excellent and inspiring communicator (written and spoken)
- Experience working directly with buyers and suppliers in the field
Apply online at Careers at FLA
Fair Labor Association
1111 19th Street, NW, Suite 401
Washington, DC 20036