The International Women's Media Foundation (IWMF), a Washington D.C.-based not-for-profit organization, is looking to immediately hire a communications coordinator with 1-3 years of experience to support the communications team.
For 28 years, the IWMF has been dedicated to unleashing the potential of women journalists as champions of press freedom to transform the global news media. Our vision is a world where women journalists worldwide are fully supported, protected, recognized and rewarded for their vital contributions at all levels of the news media. We provide female journalists with a wide range of training, grants, fellowships and reporting trips to enhance their abilities to be leaders in the news media, and also operate several prominent awards programs.
The communications coordinator will help execute IWMF communications initiatives and serve as a key member of the communications team, with a focus on digital outreach. The person in this role will be the lead for managing updates to the IWMF’s website (including an upcoming redesign), managing all social media properties, authoring and disseminating electronic newsletters, supporting outreach around in-person programmatic and fundraising efforts, and other communications efforts, as needed.
In addition, the communications specialist will provide assistance with other communications efforts that promote the IWMF mission and amplify awareness of IWMF programs and priorities. This includes writing, messaging, earned media/press, managing digital assets, and events support.
Education: Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience in a related field (e.g., communications, media development, international relations, public affairs, event planning, etc.)
Experience: One (1) to three (3) years of progressively responsible work experience in a nonprofit communications role or journalism experience required; international development experience is preferred.
· Highly adept at using digital tools, managing websites and social media properties, especially Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. Expertise managing websites, particularly Wordpress required. Knowledge of HTML strongly a big plus.
· Strong writing and copy editing skills (examples of types of writing required include website content, social media posts and press releases).
· Comfort and excitement around supporting fundraising events that highlight the work of the journalists the IWMF supports around the world.
· Excellent interpersonal communications and relationship-building skills, to effectively work with a variety of people and personalities, members of the media, board members, volunteers, peers, foundation constituents, donors and consultants.
· Motivation to learn and work in an entrepreneurial environment.
· Desire and ability to think critically and solve problems effectively.
· Ability to meet deadlines and adapt to changing priorities.
· Demonstrated interest in international affairs and/or journalism.
· Comfort with the Adobe Creative Suite (e.g. InDesign, Photoshop) and video editing software preferred, but not required.
· Foreign language skills in French or Spanish is a plus.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
The IWMF Communications Coordinator will work under the supervision of the Communications Director to:
· Create and deliver web and social media content, newsletters, and other written materials.
· Conceive and create marketing and promotional materials, both print and electronic.
· Copyedit, proofread, and revise communications as needed.
· Recommend, implement and help maintain website design and operation.
· Manage the IWMF’s social media channels.
· Promote IWMF mission and opportunities through public relations initiatives.
· Available for occasional domestic or international travel to document and support IWMF initiatives.
· Manage and maintain archival information and multimedia assets.
· Research media industry trends. Develop fresh story ideas.
· Conduct extensive media outreach. Coordinate press interviews and field media inquiries for grantees, awardees and IWMF staff.
· Support other IWMF events and initiatives as appropriate.
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*