Pakistan, being a UN member state has adopted the new framework of Sustainable Development Goals. The SDGs comprise of 17 goals and 169 targets that have been adopted at the UN General Assembly session held in September 2015 to end poverty, fight inequality and injustice, and tackle climate change challenges by 2030.
To reaffirm its commitment to the sustainable development in the province, the Government of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa has embarked upon the comprehensive project for effective localization of Sustainable Development Goals in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa. The project aims to translate the SDGs Framework into concrete plans and interventions at provincial and district level. In this regard, planning shall be done by establishing short and medium term goals rather than only having end-point targets.
In line with the initiative by the Federal Government, a dedicated SDG Wing in the Sustainable Development Unit, P&DD is being set up with technical assistance from UNDP. The MAPS for SDGs Wing will provide an institutional and governance structure for localization of SDGs in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa.
The initiative includes four key outputs: (1) plans, policies and resource allocation are aligned to 2030 Agenda; (2) monitoring, reporting and evaluation capacities are strengthened; (3) financing flows are increasingly aligned with the 2030 Agenda; and (4) innovative approaches to accelerate progress are piloted.
Under the supervision of Project Manager and in collaboration with P&DD and UNDP, the Communications Officer will support the design and implementation of advocacy and communication strategies to influence development agendas, promote public outreach, mobilize political and financial support for SDGs, develop a strong digital presence and support the overall functioning of SDU.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of Project Manager and in close collaboration with Planning & Development Department and UNDP, the Communications Officer will be responsible for:
1. Plan, design and implement internal and external strategies for communications and outreach of the SDGs Support Unit:
- Develop communications strategies for internal and external communication with partners including Federal Ministries, Provincial Governments, international donors, civil society and private sector;
- Support the design and execution of innovative communications strategies, in support of the work of Government in implementing the SDGs;
- Support the design and execution of online, social media and offline outreach campaigns on the SDGs;
- Design and develop communications tools including online tools to communicate on the SDGs work in PakistanDevelop and disseminate communications materials including printed and audio-visual material to increase outreach;
- Develop and disseminate newsletters and external communication material;
- Monitor practices, and project-specific news and developments in order to ensure guidance to the office that reflects the best and most current available information.
2. Enhance visibility of the SDGs Support Unit by engaging with the media and other partners for outreach:
- Support the SDGs Unit team in engaging with media; identifying potential stories, drafting and placing opinion pieces; and facilitating presence of media at events;
- Draft press releases and organize media briefings and launches;
- Develop, write and edit engaging content for all digital platforms;
- Support the P&DD and SDGs Support Unit in developing knowledge platforms.
3. Strengthen internal communications between the Federal and Provincial SDGs Support Unit:
- Draft and share internal communications on the latest tools and mechanisms to strengthen joint advocacy and communications on the SDGs;
- Establish close working relationships with communication officers of Provincial SDG Support Units for the design and implementation of joint advocacy and communication strategy, where required;
- Update project information materials such as Project Fact Sheet/project summary and project website and social media sites.
4. Conceptualize, develop and implement SDG campaigns
- Support effective communications around key Government priorities in implementing SDGs through developing engaging communications campaigns on key issues.
Impact of Results
The key results have an impact on the overall performance of the SDGs Support Unit and success in implementation of programme strategies. Accurate analysis, data entry and presentation of information ensure proper programme implementation.
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity;
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment;
- Self-development and initiative-taking;
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work;
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, and communicating effectively;
- Creating synergies through self-control;
- Managing conflict;
- Learning and sharing knowledge;
- Informed and transparent decision making.
Advocacy/Advancing a Policy-Oriented Agenda
- Identifies and communicates relevant information for a variety of audiences for advocating SDGs;
- Maintains a functioning network of contacts with a variety of stakeholders to promote a better understanding of SDGs and to support advocacy efforts.
Building Strategic Partnerships – Maintaining network of contacts
- Maintains an established network of contacts for general information sharing and to remain up-to-date on partnership related issues;
- Analyzes and selects materials for strengthening strategic alliances with partners and stakeholders;
- Establishes and nurtures positive communication with partners.
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
- Generates new ideas and approaches, researches best practices and proposes new and more effective ways of doing things;
- Documents and analyses innovative strategies and new approaches.
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
- Understands and applies fundamental concepts and principles of a professional discipline or technical specialty relating to the position;
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks;
- Analyses the requirements and synthesizes proposals;
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master's degree in Mass Communication, Media, Journalism, International Relations, Social Sciences, Journalism or related fields.
- Minimum 02 years of relevant experience at the national or international level in public relations, journalism, media or communications;
- Previous experience with a multilateral or international organization would be desirable;
- Experience in the use of photo/video software is desirable but not mandatory. Excellent understanding of print, audio-visual and digital mediums of communication;
- Experience in the usage of social media platforms and office software packages.
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*