Duties and Responsibilities
Under the supervision of the UN Women Deputy Regional Director for West and Central Africa (WCARO), the Programme Policy Advisor in CAR exercises overall responsibility for planning, implementing, and managing UN Women interventions in CAR under the programme portfolio. She/he works in close collaboration the Programme and Operations Team in the West and Central Regional Office, and relevant sections in HQ.
Summary of Key Functions:
- Programme Management;
- Partnership building and Resource Mobilization;
- Innovations, Advocacy and Knowledge Building;
- Advisory Services and Technical Expertise.
Provide programme development advisory services and develop programmes in gender-responsive governance and women, peace and security:
- Oversee and manage the design and formulation of programme proposals and initiatives; identify programmatic areas for support and interventions within the gender-responsive governance and women, peace and security;
- Finalize country strategy documents, programme/project proposals, briefs, policy dialogue and other documents related to gender-responsive governance and women, peace and security;
- Organize periodic consultations with key stakeholders, women leaders, human rights experts and UN partners to gather inputs on programme design, as necessary.
Manage the implementation of the gender-responsive governance and women, peace and security programme:
- Finalize the annual workplans and budget and manage their implementation;
- Provide programme advisory support to the Office Management within the gender-responsive governance and women, peace and security portfolio;
- Manage the technical implementation of the programme/ project; provide technical advice; ensure synergies with other teams;
- Review the submission of implementing partner financial and narrative reports as required;
- Provide guidance to staff and partners on Results Based Management tools and performance indicators;
- Lead Project Steering Committee, project review and/or evaluation meetings.
Oversee technical assistance and capacity development to gender-responsive governance and women, peace and security partners:
- Provide technical advice to partners;
- Build, manage, and expand relationships with national partners to support implementation and expansion of the gender-responsive governance and women, peace and security programme portfolio; respond to any potential problems;
- Serve as an expert resource to partners on gender-responsive governance and women, peace and security;
- Implement and oversee capacity building opportunities and initiatives;
- Provide partners with advanced technical assistance, training and capacity development initiatives.
Manage the implementation of programme activities through monitoring and reporting:
- Manage the process of monitoring the programme/project implementation of activities and finances using results based management tools;
- Finalize quarterly reports and donor reports, focusing on results, output and outcomes;
- Write Office donor and UN Women reports.
Manage the people and financial resources of the programme:
- Manage the programme budget and finalize financial reports;
- Manage Programme Specialist and Analysts as well as the Advocacy and Communications Specialist and Assistants; mentor and coach staff and do performance assessments;
- Oversee recruitment processes, as necessary.
Build partnerships and support in developing resource mobilization strategies:
- Develop and implement partnerships and resource mobilization strategies;
- Finalize relevant documentation on donors and develop potential opportunities for resource mobilization;
- Analyze and research information on donors, finalize substantive briefs on possible areas of cooperation, identification of opportunities for cost sharing.
Manage inter-agency coordination to achieve a coherent and aligned presence for the gender-responsive governance and women, peace and security areas in CAR:
- Provide substantive technical support as the lead and head of the Gender Theme Group, on inter-agency coordination related activities by attending meetings, events, and participating in groups and committees;
- Coordinate with other UN agencies, government departments, donors and NGOs to ensure the projects’ capacity development programme is harmonized and aligned with other in-country efforts;
- Prepare substantive inputs to the UNDAF+ and other RC, the Mission documents and initiatives, as necessary.
Lead advocacy, knowledge building and communication efforts:
- Represent UN Women in meetings and policy dialogues on issues related to gender-responsive governance and women, peace and security;
- Manage advocacy strategies and their implementation;
- Lead the development of knowledge management strategies and methodologies and products on gender-responsive governance and women, peace and security.
Key Performance Indicators:
- Timely and quality programme strategies and contributions to the Regional Strategic Note;
- Timely and quality of programme delivery in line with budget, workplans and the Strategic Note;
- Strong and clear leadership/ supervision of team;
- Partners and other stakeholders provide positive feedback on advisory and technical services;
- Timely and quality of reports;
- Quality of advocacy, communication and knowledge management initiatives;
- Resources mobilized;
- Strong relationships with donors, partners and other stakeholders.
- Respect for Diversity;
- Creative Problem Solving;
- Effective Communication;
- Inclusive Collaboration;
- Stakeholder Engagement;
- Leading by Example.
- Excellent programme formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation skills;
- Ability to develop detailed operational plans, budgets, and deliver on them for development results;
- Excellent knowledge of Results Based Management;
- Ability to synthesize program performance data and produce analytical reports to inform management and strategic decision-making;
- Excellent knowledge in gender-responsive governance and women, peace and security areas;
- Strong organizational skills and ability to pay close attention to detail;
- Ability to lead formulation of strategies and their implementation;
- Strong networking skills;
- Ability to negotiate and interact with donors, identify and analyze trends, opportunities and threats to fundraising.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree or equivalent in social sciences, human rights, gender/women's studies, international development, or a related field.
- 10 years of relevant experience at the international level in providing management advisory services, hands-on experience in design, monitoring and evaluation of development projects/programmes in the area gender-responsive Governance and Women, Peace and Security;
- Post conflict experience especially in Mission settings an asset;
- Experience in programme management, including programme formulation, implementation and reporting is required;
- Thorough knowledge of Atlas and UN Women procedures is an asset;
- Knowledge and experience in the Central African Republic is an asset;
- Excellent writing and communication skills;
- Familiarity with the UN system and knowledge of UN Women is an asset;
- Experience in leading/ managing teams;
- Experience in establishing relationships among international organization and national governments in the field of gender and human rights of women;
- Experience working in the UN System is an asset.
- Fluency in written and oral English and French is required,
- Working knowledge of other UN languages is an asset.
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*