The Open Government Partnership (OGP) is looking to add a creative, strategic communicator to its growing team. The ideal candidate will be agile, flexible and able to clearly communicate the mission and impact of OGP across multiple tasks, including social media, press engagement and content creation (video, blogs, podcasts and other medium). This is an amazing opportunity to join an entrepreneurial communications team focused on storytelling and creating powerful campaigns on issues such as trust, transparency, accountability, responsiveness and development.
The Communications Officer will report to the Chief Communications and Campaigns Officer, as part of a new team designed to raise the profile of OGP’s work and improve our communications with open government reformers around the world.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Play strategic and creative role in developing integrated communications campaigns
- Edit and generate content for OGP website, blog, newsletter, powerpoints, reports and occasional op-eds
- Participate in social media content promotion (twitter, fb, instagram etc.)
- Proactively contribute to running our international communications network, including working with government officials and civil society members
- Write and/or copy-edit case studies, press releases, and social media copy
- Lead on press outreach in U.S. and foreign countries
- Conduct research for special projects
- Support Communications team and other staff in event management
- Oversee vendors, freelancers and public relations agency
- Build and maintain international press lists and help oversee our press archive
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Excellent storytelling skills
- Exceptional writing and editing skills
- Experience in press outreach and media engagement
- Basic understanding of video production
- Demonstrated knowledge of international politics
- Demonstrated comfort with social media (Facebook, Twitter, Flickr etc.)
- Familiarity with issues of transparency, accountability or development
- Experience working in a fast paced, entrepreneurial, team environment
- Deadline oriented but also able to respond quickly to changing priorities
- Demonstrated attention to detail
- 5+ years experience in related field
- Bachelor’s Required
- Available for occasional national/international travel
- Must have authorization to work in the United States
- Fluency in Spanish highly desirable
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- The Communications Officer should be open-minded, diplomatic and flexible as this position will require working with civil society and government internationally, across different languages, national contexts and time zones.
- Ability to thrive in a multi-cultural, multi-lingual, often “virtual” team setting with colleagues based around the world.
- Independent but also able to work in a group. Although a junior member of the team, the Communications Officer will quickly be asked to take over several projects with minimal supervision. S/he should therefore be self-directed and resourceful, but also proactive in sharing information to update on both progress and setbacks.
The Communications Officer will report to the Chief of Communications and Campaigns.
- Position based in Washington D.C, must have legal status to work in the United States.
- Applications are will be reviewed on a rolling basis
- Preferred start date is November or December 2017
- Compensation commensurate with experience.
- Please submit a cover letter, current CV as an attachment in word or PDF format to [email protected]. Please use “Communications Officer” in the subject line.
- Because of the volume of applications, we will not be able to respond to every applicant. We thank applicants in advance for their expressions of interest.
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*