The European Youth Forum (YFJ) is the leading organisation advocating for rights of young people. We are a Platform of Youth Organisations, independent, democratic and youth-led, we represent 104 National Youth Councils and International Youth Organisations from across the European Continent. The Youth Forum works to empower young people to participate actively in society to improve their own lives, by representing and advocating their needs and interests and those of their organisations towards the European Institutions, the Council of Europe and the United Nations.
The European Youth Forum is now looking for a Policy Officer to join our team. The Policy Officer will work in the Policy and Advocacy Department and report to one of the Department’s Team Leaders.
The Policy Officer will work on the building cooperation with regional and global partners and possibly other areas, according to the specific needs of the department. Partners include other international regional youth platforms outside of Europe as well as other global platforms. Policy areas of focus of this cooperation are key policy priorities of the Youth Forum such as sustainable development, Youth, Peace and Security, youth rights, youth participation and youth work.
- Implement and follow-up the European Youth Forum policy demands and develop cooperation with partners in accordance with the organisation’s strategy under the supervision of the Team Leader;
- Build a strong network and strengthen relationships with the various actors in the relevant fields (global and regional youth platforms, member organisations, other youth NGOs, relevant stakeholders, social partners, civil society and institutional partners);
- Build strong basis for advocacy cooperation towards decision-makers on the European Youth Forum’s key policy demands with global and regional youth platforms;
- Assist the Team Leader and the Policy and Advocacy Director as required;
- Contribute to the development and implementation of the strategic priorities and work plan of the European Youth Forum.
- Plan, execute and implement advocacy actions aimed at global and regional youth platforms, policymakers, stakeholders and other decision-makers;
- Liaise and plan strategically with the relevant Board members in relation to the area of work;
- Promote and represent the Forum in external bodies (e.g. stakeholder consultation groups, conferences);
- Monitor and report on policy developments and provide background information to the other team members, Board and Member Organisations;
- Undertake research, surveys and external consultations on topics relevant to the Forum and its Members Organisations;
- Coordinate the implementation of meetings and conferences with the support of the Events Team;
- Oversee execution of the budget that has been allocated to the working area;
- Report on developments in the relevant fields;
- Write policy documents, reports and publications and provide content for Youth Forum publications.
- Have at least a 2 years progressive experience in policymaking, advocacy or interestrepresentation and a good understanding of policy making, especially at Global level, but also national and European levels;
- A higher education degree in social science, law, political science, international or EU affairs or other relevant field is strongly desirable but can be compensated by relevant NGO and/or non-formal education experience;
- Previous experience with building and maintaining global and/or interregional cooperation with various partners is an asset, especially in the youth field;
- A quick learner with strong ability to develop knowledge on new concepts and adapt to new processes;
- An open and avid communicator and a strong team player, proactively including colleagues and member organisations;
- Background experience in a youth organisation and in non-formal education is a strong asset;
- Experience with working in a multicultural environment;
- Willingness to travel on a regular basis and to work flexible hours and on weekends, when required;
- Willingness to live and work in Belgium. Regular travel abroad is foreseen.
Policy & Advocacy skills:
- Ability to understand and identify opportunities in the global and interregional decisionmaking processes;
- Very good knowledge of the different institutional partners with whom the Youth Forum works, such as the other global and regional youth platforms, EU institutions, Council of Europe and United Nations;
- Ability to advocate effectively and to communicate in an articulated manner to a wide range of audiences both in written and orally;
- Ability to formulate a position, analyse documents and monitor processes;
- Excellent writing and communication skills in English, French;
- Proficiency in Spanish is a strong asset;
- Ability to research, collate, analyse and summarise information;
- Ability to manage effectively your own time, activities and budget.
- Sociable, service oriented and at ease in a multicultural environment;
- Proactive, critical, flexible and solution oriented;
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team on a common project;
- Ability to work under pressure, manage challenging workload and tight deadlines;
- Ability to master new technical and organisation concepts;
- Ability to multi-task and coordinate several projects simultaneously;
- A team player with excellent interpersonal and communications skills;
- Computer literacy: good working knowledge of word processing, e-mail and Internet applications.
TERMS OF THE CONTRACT
The duration of the contract is five years. The contract is full time (35 hours per week) and the gross monthly salary (for a P1 position according to the Collective Bargaining Agreement currently applied at the European Youth Forum) is 2.754 €. A relocation package, hospitalisation insurance and other benefits are available. Travel expenses within the Brussels region are covered by the European Youth Forum.
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*