The University of the Incarnate Word invites nominations and applications for the position of Immigration Advisor, which will report directly to the Director of International Student & Scholar Services. As a member of International Affairs staff, the advisor has shared responsibility to provide cross-cultural education for the campus, coordinate initiatives regarding staff and faculty outreach, and support orientation and peer mentor programs. The full-time position will serve as an immigration advisor to international students in the F-1 and J-1 visa programs. This position will support the overall operation and management of the International Student & Scholar Services Office for nearly 700 international students
This position requires an exceptional level of organizational skills, attention to detail, analytical capabilities, and positive problem solving outlook needed in handling complex non-immigrant cases.
• The advisor will serve as a Designated School Official (DSO); coordinating I-20 issuances, SEVIS reporting, and F-1 visa immigration compliance with Department of Homeland Security. The advisor will also serve as an Alternate Responsible Officer (RO) for the J-1 visa program and will assist with non-degree exchange students, research scholars, visiting professors, student interns and other degree seeking student in compliance to Department of State regulations.
• Advise students on pre-arrival immigration-related issues as well as on complex immigration regulations to include school transfers, reinstatements, employment authorization, and change of status.
• Work with international students, short-term scholars, interns, visiting professors, or researchers on visa transitions and employment/training matters; AT, OPT, CPT, rotations, etc.
• Provide a welcoming atmosphere for prospective students, visitors and current students. Plan and implement a comprehensive week-long orientation program, including new student check-in, for new international students and summer program sessions.
• Counsel enrolled students on matters related to university life and the U.S. study experience, including personal matters, transportation, finances, employment, health insurance, adjustment to campus/San Antonio, and maintenance of student status.
• Maintain appropriate and accurate electronic and paper records of all international and exchange student documents and applications.
• Participate in the implementation and delivery of various programming activities including intercultural programming; special topic workshops; and joint programming with other local campuses or community entities as needed by the department, Director or Assistant Director.
• Actively participate in the development and growth of team expertise in the laws and regulations governing international students and in advising/informing university staff about university policies and procedures that ensure ongoing compliance.
• Serves as a liaison to select university offices and departments to inform and advocate for the needs of international students and/or other designated international population.
• Manage the Peer Mentor Program, matching international students with other students and arranging social events.
• Serves as a team member to develop a short-term summer program with a variety of educational course offerings and cultural programming.
• Provide support to ISSS functions, including corresponding with international students on issues associated with their status at the university.
• Work collaboratively with peers on development of training workshops and info sessions on international issues for UIW international students/faculty/and staff.
• Serve on internal committees and participate in work groups to support the mission of ISSS and International Affairs.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
• Understanding of U.S. higher education culture, procedures and practices.
• Proficiency in intercultural relations issues and strategies.
• Exceptionally strong communication skills (written and oral).
• Strong analytical/problem solving skills and demonstrated ability to take initiative.
• Strong organizational skills and the ability to effectively prioritize and manage multiple tasks with demanding timeframes.
• Ability to provide high quality and efficient customer service to work effectively with students, scholars, faculty, staff, alumni, and community members who represent a broad range of cultural backgrounds and perspectives.
• Ability to work independently or as a team member.
• Experience in short-term summer educational programs, student programming or cultural events.
• Knowledge of best practices and trends related to international student populations.
• Strong computer skills including Microsoft Suite, Adobe Suite, and the ability to collect and analyze data.
Individuals must be able to explain and demonstrate that they possess the knowledge, skill and abilities to safely perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation.
Bachelor’s degree is required in the following field(s) of study: Public Administration, International Relations, Global Studies, Higher Education Administration, or other related area.
Required Work Experience
Substantial and continually refreshed knowledge of immigration regulations and SEVIS-approved procedural steps are critical in order to be compliant with all relevant federal regulations. At least three (3) years of formal experience as a Designated School Official (PDSO/DSO) and Responsible Officer (RO/ARO) is required. Proof of training in F-1 and J-1 advising is acceptable in either by certificates or by letter of PDSO/RO.
Master’s degree is preferred in the following field(s) of study: Public Administration, International Relations, Global Studies, Higher Education Administration, or other related area.
Previous cross-cultural, intercultural training or internationalization efforts experience is beneficial to provide seminars to students, staff, and faculty outreach.
Experience in international admissions and/or study abroad.
Fluency in two or more languages and experience living abroa
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org