The International Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance - International IDEA is an intergovernmental organization that supports sustainable democracy worldwide. International IDEA’s mission is to support sustainable democratic change by providing comparative knowledge, and assisting in democratic reform, and influencing policies and politics.
International IDEA acts as a catalyst for democracy building; by providing knowledge resources, policy proposals and supporting democratic reforms in response to specific national requests. It works together with policy makers, governments, UN organizations and agencies and regional organizations engaged in the field of democracy building.
International IDEA develops, shares and enables the use of comparative knowledge in its key areas of expertise: electoral processes,constitution building,political participation and representation, democracy and development and democracy assessments.
It also addresses the important issues of gender, diversity, and conflict and security as they relate to democracy.
International IDEA is based in Stockholm, Sweden, and works worldwide through offices in New York, Brussels, The Hague, Latin America, Africa and Asia.
The International Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance – International IDEA – is an intergovernmental organization that advances democracy worldwide, as a universal human aspiration and an enabler of sustainable development, through support to the building, strengthening and safeguarding of democratic political institutions and processes at all levels. It is based in Stockholm, Sweden, and has offices in New York, Europe, Latin America, Africa and Asia.
The Global Programme implements three institutional impact areas, namely electoral processes; constitution building processes; and political participation and representation processes; and conducts analysis of the global state of democracy.
The Political Participation and Representation programme (PPRP) forms part of International IDEA’s Global Programme (GP). In the strategy period of 2018-2022, PPRP will aim to support the integrity of processes and institutions of political participation and representation, so that they are more inclusive, equitable, responsive, and accountable for delivering on public goods.
The Senior Programme Officer will contribute to PPRP’s work to make money play a positive role in democratic politics, integrating political party and election campaign finance, state-capture and organized crime in politics, integrity and anti-corruption frameworks. The Senior Programme Officer will lead the production of relevant global comparative knowledge and analysis; the provision of high quality and policy relevant technical assistance to actors and institutions at the country and global level; and the programme’s efforts to influence the agenda on the field of money in politics.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides high level advisory services on money in politics, in particular on political finance reform to governments, parliaments, political parties, civil society organizations and other stakeholders from member states or other countries in coordination with International IDEA’s regional and country offices;
- Leads in the management of core and restricted projects in close coordination with partners and regional offices, with competence throughout the project life cycle, from needs-assessment, strategic planning and project design, funding and budgeting, to project implementation, evaluation;
- Identifies new challenges and cutting-edge practice on issues related to the influence of money in politics, including regulatory frameworks, digital disclosure, political party and election campaign finance, state-capture, organized crime’s influence on politics, and integrity-enhanced and anti-corruption frameworks;
- Creates global comparative knowledge on political finance, including handbooks and practical methodologies, repositories and databases; web-based applications; as well as policy analysis on themes relevant to the programme; manages knowledge production processes from their design to publication and adoption by final users, including content development and quality controls;
- Influences agenda setting at the global level through high quality, policy relevant analysis delivered at relevant forums, and through publications on relevant media targeting different audiences;
- Leads preparations towards the establishment of networks and partnership initiatives to engage regional and global organizations to more effectively impact the role of money in politics;
- Leads representation and fundraising efforts related to measures to make money play a positive role in democratic politics, and broader issues of representation and participation processes;
- Manages and provides guidance to staff members on matters relating to the projects under her/his responsibility;
- Represents International IDEA in the media, thematic conferences and events on matters related to projects under her/his responsibility;
- Contributes to the further development of International IDEA’s outreach and communications activities, including updating the website and relevant social media networks as relevant to the programme.
- Integrates gender and diversity perspectives in all her/his work;
- Combines in-depth knowledge, acquired through post-graduate academic achievements, excellent skills including managerial skills and relevant experience in the democracy assistance field;
- Contributes to assigned projects with authority, and provides policy analysis as appropriate;
- Has the intellectual leadership to integrate innovation into his/her field of expertise;
- Leads a team of contributors to projects, including staff members and consultants;
- Is recognized as an expert in his/her broad professional community;
- Fosters team-based activities in his/her unit; collaborates with other entities of the Institute;
- Acts as a model and mentor for less experienced colleagues;
- Is expected to travel globally to any geographical area involved in his/her projects, frequently;
- Follows internal procedures to ensure high standards of performance and compliance with Institutional guidelines.
- Senior Programme Manager, Political Participation and Representation Processes.
- Has excellent knowledge and extensive work experience in the field of democracy, particularly on issues of political participation and representation, combined with excellent understanding of related disciplines in order to approach programmatic activities in a holistic manner.
Operational Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Integrates a results-based approach into the design, management and evaluation of all his/her programmatic activities;
- Has thorough understanding of relevant programmatic issues in the geographical regions where her/his work is implemented;
- Is active in the search for information on donors and partners, preparation of reports and project briefs, identification of opportunities for initiation of new projects, and all other activities related to resource mobilization and partnership building;
- Illustrates integrity, a collaborative spirit, a sense of achievement, and an understanding of risk management;
- Understands and manages the budget and planning of his/her project(s).
- Some people management responsibility over permanent staff;
- Acts as a model and resource for colleagues.
- Will solve complex challenges, approach issues with new perspectives, and analyze situations from a multitude of intervening factors.
- Has a clear impact on the programme development and delivery;
- Will also impact other teams and projects in related fields.
Communication and Interpersonal Skills
- Liaises with all internal and external stakeholders involved in his/her project; acts and is perceived as an initiator of relevant communication to solve issues;
- Drives projects and assignments through communicative personal energy and engagement;
- Can explain sensitive information with diplomacy, and build consensus;
- Is able to present his/her activities and represent International IDEA effectively in all professional circles.
Education and Experience
- Post-graduate qualifications in either law, social sciences, political science, development or a related field;
- A minimum of 8 years of relevant experience, preferably within the context of an organization working in the field of democracy, political party finance, or broader anti-corruption efforts (experience working with or in support to political parties and political finance oversight agencies is advantageous);
- Excellent team leading and team building skills;
- Experience in resource mobilization and fundraising;
- Field experience in Africa, Asia and the Pacific, Wider Europe or Latin America.
Terms of Contract
- Two (2) year fixed term appointment;
- Salary €5 456 NET per month;
- Start date as soon as possible.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org