The Chief of Party (CoP) for HEMAYAT will provide leadership and direction to ensure the programmatic, technical, and financial integrity of the HEMAYAT program. The CoP works closely with the Ministry of Public Health (MoPH) of Afghanistan to streamline efforts and ensure complementarity of activities and serves as the primary point of contact for project stakeholders and international and local partners. The CoP is responsible for timely and cost-effective project implementation, compliance with the laws of Afghanistan, the US Agency for International Development (USAID) rules and regulations, Jhpiego policies and procedures, and adherence to the program and technical standards of the organization.
- Provide leadership and strategic direction to ensure programmatic and financial integrity of HEMAYAT project;
- Develop and maintain outstanding working relationships with donors and MoPH, national and international implementing partners;
- Ensure that HEMAYAT activities are in line with country priorities, and include substantial engagement of national partners.
Technical and Program Quality Assurance:
- Provide oversight of program activities, ensuring that the programs are technically sound, follow organizational standards and are responsive to the needs of the country;
- Ensure the quality and sustainability of all program approaches; work with program staff, partners and funders to continually improve programs to address challenges and meet needs and ensure achievement of the goals, objectives and targets of each project;
- Provide programmatic and/or technical leadership in the design, analysis, and synthesis of interventions;
- Work with Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) staff to ensure M&E frameworks are developed and data/results are effectively tracked and appropriately reported.
Financial and Management Compliance:
- Ensure preparations and timely submission of all programmatic and financial reports to donors;
- Ensure the program is working within available resources and that the program is fiscally sound;
- Ensure country compliance with country laws, Jhpiego policies and donor rules and regulations as well as all contractual requirements;
- Provide guidance, and take overall responsibility for ensuring accountability of subcontractors and sub-grantees;
- Oversee finance and project staff to ensure that realistic budgets are developed and expenditures tracked;
- Engage regularly and early on with the Country Director, Regional Director and/or relevant HQ officers regarding any irregularities in financial management or compliance.
Human Resource Management:
- Mentor, support, supervise and manage a team of highly qualified staff and align their efforts to ensure rapid and sustainable results;
- Conduct annual staff evaluations and support professional development for staff;
- Align team members’ efforts to ensure rapid and sustainable results;
- Revise staffing strategies to meet the changing needs of the HEMAYAT program.
External Relations and Communications:
- Represent HEMAYAT project and present progress, achievements and lessons learned to donors and other key stakeholders in public and professional circles through meetings, conferences, and presentations;
- Lead by example in communicating Jhpiego key messages to external audiences and comply with Jhpiego standards for submission of communication deliverables;
- Oversee the development of a country communications strategy and ensure regular contributions of success stories, case studies, photos, social media and newsletter for external stakeholders, and for the Jhpiego Communications Department.
- Advanced degree in public health, health administration, public administration, business administration or related degree;
- 10+ years of progressively responsible international public health management experience including design, implementation, monitor, reporting, and financial management;
- Demonstrated ability to manage large donor funded public health projects and budgets;
- Experience developing successful, replicable and sustainable projects in Afghanistan;
- Proven leadership skills and expertise in strategic program planning, implementation and management;
- Proven experience in leading highly skilled and qualified program, technical and administrative and finance personnel;
- Ability to build capacity and collaboration between governmental and non-governmental partners and other project implementers;
- Understanding of United States Government donor’s regulations and compliance, reporting requirements, and health strategic framework;
- Technical knowledge in one or more of Jhpiego’s core competencies;
- Ability to develop productive working relationships with counterparts in other agencies and organizations worldwide;
- Strong project management skills with experience using program management tools (Gantt charts, stakeholder matrix, work breakdown structure, issues logs, project charters, etc.);
- Extensive knowledge of the international health program development field;
- Experience working within the Afghanistan health system preferred;
- Ability to work in a complex environment charged with multiple tasks, short deadlines and intense pressure to perform;
- A team player accustomed to building team capacity, delegating working teams, and developing communities of learning among host country partners and counterparts;
- Excellent skills in facilitation, team building and coordination;
- Ability to communicate effectively, instilling trust and confidence;
- Excellent interpersonal and written and oral presentation skills;
- Fluent in written and spoken English.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org