The Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU) is the research and analysis division of The Economist Group and the world leader in global business intelligence. Created in 1946, we have 70 years’ experience in helping businesses and governments to understand how the world is changing and how that creates opportunities to be seized and risks to be managed. Consistently rated one of the best for-profit think tanks for the quality and accuracy of our data and forecasting.
- One of the world's most widely recognized and established brands
- The most strategic and fastest growing division within the Economist Group
- Consistently rated one of the best for-profit think tanks
What we can offer you
- An entrepreneurial environment that rewards resourcefulness, initiative, and a brave approach to developing new sales opportunities
- A global, high growth business working across a diversity of key sectors that significantly impact global economic growth and development
- An experienced and professional environment working with highly trained globally-based consultants and analysts
- A "create your own destiny" approach to professional growth and mobility
- An opportunity to develop project opportunities that engage business and policy leaders on key global economic and social issues
Role and how you will contribute to EIU's success
This new business development role is based in New York City or London. It is critical to the growth of EIU's U.S. and continental Europe businesses and supporting our overall growth in the Americas and EMEA regions.
The ideal candidate will be a sales or business development professional with 5+ years of success closing complex new client deals of $100K+ through a consultative sales approach. The candidate will be required to build an organic (new) pipeline of deals and meet monthly, quarterly and annual sales targets. The candidate will have key relationships with public policy organizations and corporations across the U.S. and demonstrate a track record of developing an organic pipeline of qualified opportunities and consistently achieving sales targets and objectives.
As a Business Development Manager for the U.S. or Europe market you will sell research and evidenced-based consulting solutions to new public and private sector accounts, including corporations, government, trade associations, NGOs and development banks. While informing corporate internal strategy, corporate external positioning and advocacy initiatives the solutions will include public policy, macroeconomics, country risk, and geo-political analysis. You will be required to work efficiently and effectively with technical resources (EIU consultants and analysts) to develop proposals and manage client expectations and relationships.
In this role you would be expected to:
- Create qualified opportunities to pipeline through relationship building, matching client needs with EIU Consulting solutions and capabilities, and identifying project funding sources
- Negotiate project budgets with clients and facilitate the negotiation of contract terms and conditions working with EIU’s legal team
- Conduct business development activities (cold calls, face-to-face meetings)
- Identify and present to potential new accounts within the public and private sectors
- Work closely with EIU consultants to ensure high-quality proposals and project implementation that exceeds promised deliverables
- Closely monitor tenders from key client organizations; build relationships with decision-makers before and during the bid process
- Develop strategic partnerships with relevant external organizations and experts to facilitate pipeline development and increase closure rates
- Work with the Global Commercial Director to develop, implement and adhere to personal business plan
- Work with the Regional Consulting and Editorial Directors for the Americas or EMEA to devise and implement regional strategy and objectives
- Serve as client advocate for large engagements, acting as interface between EIU project team and client stakeholders
- Work alongside Marketing and Consultant teams to create impactful collateral that presents the EIU value proposition in an effective manner
- Leverage reporting tools in salesforce, providing accurate perspective of current pipeline and overall activity levels
- Keep up to date with the EIU portfolio and the competitive marketplace
- Exceed revenue targets and achieving monthly activity goals (calls, meetings, leads) within assigned territory
- Manage sales pipeline effectively to move opportunities toward closure
- Maintain the high quality and professional image of The Economist Group in all communications and dealings with clients and prospects
- Develop proposal concepts and generate scoping documents and/or proposals
To succeed in this role you must have:
- 5+ years of business development experience and a track record of selling new business strategic intelligence and evidenced-based research services to senior decision-makers within Corporations, Governments and Non-Profits, and/or Corporations.
- Undergraduate Degree or equivalent work experience. Masters Degree in a field such as International Affairs, Public Policy, Business or Economics is desirable
- Proficiency in Excel, PowerPoint and Salesforce
- Proficiency in English; Other languages desirable – Spanish,French, Italian, Arabic, etc.
- A network of established relationships/contacts across relevant organization types (listed above) and sectors (public policy, financial services, energy, technology, etc.)
To succeed in the role you must demonstrate:
- Quickly develop a strong knowledge base of EIU consulting solutions and capabilities, public policy topics, global business trends and economic principles
- Understanding of business trends, global affairs and economic principles
- A strategic thinker, persistent hunter and over achiever
- Ability to communicate effectively and work efficiently with a diversity of internal technical teams to achieve results.
- Ability to manage multiple opportunities at different stages of development and effectively move thru the pipeline to achieve short, mid and long term sales targets.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org