The Research Analyst undertakes joint in-depth research assignments with senior fellows, on such topics as current issues in monetary policy, the causes and consequences of the recent financial crisis, and issues related to fiscal policy and health economics. Performs complex and high quality research and quantitative data analysis with little supervision. Stays abreast of research and policy developments. Communicates with outside and inside authors; periodically assists with events.
Research Analysis (50%)
- Independently analyze complex data, using statistical packages and spreadsheets. Suggest new methods, models, and questions for research. Identify best methods for distilling and presenting the results; produces relevant charts and tables;
- Identify, collect and organize economic data and documents from various sources including electronic databases, libraries, and government documents. Identify trends and policy implications on specific topics as assigned, to be incorporated into working papers and published materials;
- Condense speeches by Federal Reserve policymakers into digests for senior researchers;
- Provides independent analysis and summary of data. Compiles, reads, and provides analytical reviews and summaries of diverse existing literature pertinent to assigned topic;
- Mentor and provide guidance on work of research assistants on selected projects;
- Analyze and assess key findings to draw conclusions and provide opinions to scholars;
- Partner with scholars to help identify areas of policy research and analysis to be examined.
Writing and Editing (40%)
- Independently develop detailed outlines and high quality first drafts of papers or sections of papers and work closely with senior research staff through the publication process;
- In collaboration with Senior Fellow, drafts and edit material summarizing research results and developing policy ideas on specific topics as assigned, for incorporation into working papers and project publications;
- Help adapt papers to reach various audiences through summaries, blog posts, data visualization, and other methods;
- Co-author papers and blog posts with senior research staff;
- Communicate with collaborating researchers internally and in other institutions.
Center Support (10%)
- Assist Hutchins Center leadership with day-to-day activities of the Center, including research, policy, outreach, scheduling, and other activities as assigned;
- Assist with Hutchins Center events as needed, including meeting preparation, calendar support, and logistics for public events, private roundtables, and additional activities;
- Participate in relevant conferences, seminars, meetings, and briefings initiated by Center; serves as a Center liaison and note taker, writing summary reports as necessary;
- Partner with Senior Fellow to identify areas of policy research, strategy, and analysis to be examined;
- Other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree in Economics, Mathematics/Statistics with a minor in Economics required. Minimum of two years of relevant experience with research and advanced quantitative data analysis required; experience can come from prior employment, internship, or applicable undergraduate/graduate work. Masters in similar fields or work experience in economics and/or computer modeling strongly preferred. Demonstrated ability and competence to undertake in-depth research assignments and perform complex research and data analysis with little supervision.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org