Program Officer, Volunteering
Are you a bilingual self-starter who is passionate about global citizenship and looking for a unique opportunity to make a difference?
Crossroads International is currently seeking a bilingual Program Officer, Volunteering to join our team devoted to excellence in international volunteering, developing new approaches and systems that will ensure that Crossroads is at the forefront of international volunteering.
Reporting to the Program Manager, Volunteering and working closely with other members of the program team, the Program Officer will contribute to Crossroads’ goal of achieving excellence in international volunteering – including recruitment, selection, training, support and recognition of international volunteers from across Canada and around the world. The Program Officer will contribute to organizational learning, ensuring that Crossroads’ international volunteering work is responsive and effective.
The main responsibilities for the Program Officer, Volunteering are:
Volunteer Recruitment & Selection
- Develop and implement targeted volunteer recruitment strategies based on recruitment and programmatic annual objectives;
- Develop mapping of potential market place and networks to support the recruitment process;
- Develop relationships with organizations, businesses and institutions for the recruitment of qualified volunteers in-line with programmatic needs;
- Liaise with other relevant organizations including, sector specific networks, businesses, schools, colleges and universities to develop effective partnerships for the recruitment of volunteers;
- Liaise with Program Officers-Programming to ensure that all published mandates are clear and designed to attract Canadian volunteers while reflecting the needs of the partner organizations;
- Lead the selection of qualified N-S and e-volunteers, in coordination with Program Officers-Programming and partner organizations;
- Facilitate pre and post-mandate steps in the Volunteer Cycle, including providing guidance to volunteers regarding conditions and responsibilities of volunteers
- Participate in updating and maintaining information in the Volunteer Tracking System (VTS) and Sharepoint so that volunteer records are accurate and the appropriate output figures are up to date;
- Lead in the preparation, delivery and on-going strengthening of volunteer pre-departure training, individual and group debriefing;
- Contribute to the strengthening and development of Volunteer Management tools;
- Participate actively in response to emergency situations, including being on-call for the 24\7 emergency line;
- Direct support to in-field Liaison Officers regarding volunteer logistics and management;
- Facilitate regular information-sharing meetings with the Program Officers-Programming and Liaison Officers;
- Promote excellence and best practices in volunteering within Crossroads International to continuing building a reputation for excellence in volunteer recruitment and retention;
- Participate in the development and implementation of the volunteering annual operational plan to further advance volunteering and best practices.
- Consistently apply Crossroads’ brand and key messages;
- Work collaboratively with the Communications team members to promote volunteer opportunities;
- Participate in relevant networks on behalf of Crossroads;
- Represent Crossroads at conferences and other fora.
- Minimum three years related work experience;
- University degree or equivalent in a related field;
- In-depth knowledge and experience of international volunteering and/or relevant experience in adult education or human resource management;
- Overseas work experience and knowledge of successful practices in international volunteering preferred;
- Previous experience working with Volunteer Cooperation Programs funded by Global Affairs Canada or the Ministère of International Relations and La Francophonie;
- Strong training and facilitation skills;
- Previous experience selecting, recruiting and supporting volunteers;
- Familiarity with online and distance education and learning an asset;
- Commitment to women’s rights and experience in integrating a gender analysis;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
- Excellent organizational and administrative skills;
- Initiative, creativity;
- Capacity to work collaboratively and in a team;
- Capacity to work nights and weekends when needed;
- Fluency in both English and French is essential; Spanish an asset.
- Location: Toronto
Supervisor: Program Manager - Volunteering
Position Type: Permanent full-time
Languages: Bilinguism English/French
Starting date: June 4th, 2018
If you are interested in joining a dynamic international development organization, please submit your resume and cover letter by May 7th, 2018 by e-mail and be sure to include Program Officer, Volunteering in the subject line.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org