The Institute for Sustainable Communities (ISC) is seeking a Chief of Party (COP) for an upcoming USAID China Mekong Environment program. The project presents an opportunity to lead efforts to improve environmental governance and standards implementation with respect to infrastructure projects in China and the Mekong, an effort critical to sustaining the social and economic development gains attributed to investments in the region. The COP will oversee all components of the program; work with NGOs, private sector and other relevant stakeholders; government officials on national and local levels; meet programmatic impact goals; reporting requirements; and manage agreements.
- Provide technical and managerial leadership of the program, ensuring an integrated vision among components, actors and a focus on achieving results.
- Identify issues and risks related to program implementation in a timely manner, suggest appropriate program adjustments, and offer solutions in a complex development environment.
- Serve as principal liaison to USAID and foster and maintain collaborative relationships with government counterparts, donor organizations, and local and regional partners.
- Manage a multi-disciplinary team of professionals, maintaining collaborative, team relationships in a fast-paced work environment.
- Ensure that all assistance is technically sound and appropriate, and direct implementation of the activity’s strategic long-term vision.
- Establish and sustain program monitoring teams and impact evaluation, overseeing development of monitoring and evaluation systems.
- Ensure the timely completion of quality program reports, technical and financial deliverables.
- Develop work plans and prepare regular program reports and documentation.
- Work closely with ISC United States organizational and programmatic leadership.
- Demonstrated capabilities in institutional capacity building, high-level strategic visioning and leadership, and experience in working effectively with civil society, private sector, government authorities and with USAID or other development partners.
- Proven exceptional leadership in the design, management, implementation, monitoring, and evaluation of international donor supported programs, with skills in strategic planning, management, supervision, and budgeting. Preferred: Experience in managing complex activities involving coordination with multiple program partner institutions.
- Demonstrated high-level of expertise in one or more of the following technical areas: environmental governance, climate mitigation, environmental impact assessment, green building or infrastructure standards, sustainable infrastructure, green finance/investment, Lower Mekong countries, or a related field.
- Strong communication skills, including interpersonal, and fluency in written and oral English and Mandarin, to fulfill the diverse technical and managerial requirements of the program and to effectively coordinate with a wide range of stakeholders including senior representatives of national and local government.
- Knowledge of the political, social, cultural, environmental, and development context of China and/or Mekong countries, China expertise is a priority.
- Proven ability to develop and communicate a common vision among diverse partners and the ability to lead multi-sector (such as public and private sector) and multi-disciplinary teams.
- Experience with evidence-based practice in development projects, experience with developing and enhancing technical capacities and skills and experience managing projects across multiple countries.
- Required minimum of 10 years’ professional experience in leading and managing international development programs or projects in China or Mekong countries with at least 5 years’ experience managing programs in environmental governance, green finance/investment, sustainable infrastructure, or a related field.
- Required Master’s level degree in management, international development or a field of study related to environmental governance, climate mitigation, environmental impact assessment, green building or infrastructure standards, sustainable infrastructure, green finance/investment. Preferred: Ph.D. level degree in one of these fields of study.
- Experience in managing programs of a large bilateral or international donor, particularly previous experience as a Chief of Party, preferred.
- Willingness and ability to travel frequently.
- Commitment to the ISC mission and goals.
- Fluency in Mandarin and English.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org