The Office of Communications plays a central role in the work of the Foundations by coordinating and strengthening the public presence of the global network and by helping to advance relevant issues. Communications works to raise the Foundations’ public profile by promoting the network’s many noteworthy achievements as well as responding to attacks from opponents of open society around the world. The department employs media outreach, publications, and the web to assist dozens of Open Society foundations and programs in their communications efforts. Job Profile
The Office of Communications seeks a European communications officer to be based in our London office. The officer will contribute to and implement communications and outreach strategies of the Open Society Foundations and work closely with different parts of the organization on their communications needs. Strategy and Issue Expertise
Media Relations and Writing
- Responsible for contributing to, communicating and executing complex media and communications strategies inside the organization and/or in the fields of specialization with associated budgets and work plans;
- Lead work with specific programs;
- Responsible for problem solving both independently and collaboratively;
- Project management including effective deployment of time, money, and human resources, network-wide or with specific programs;
- Comprehensive, specialized knowledge of communications and a strong understanding of key open society issues, including leading figures and thinking;
- Ability to manage multiple interests, complex political and cultural factors, and management of long- and short-term goals.
- Identify communications and media opportunities to better shape and amplify Open Society issues and grantees;
- Position key Open Society Foundations’ messages, people, and grantees, in print, online, broadcast, radio, and other media;
- Draft and edit Op-Eds, letters-to-the-editor, and press releases;
- Establish and cultivate relationships with local and regional print, broadcast, radio, and online media in Europe and elsewhere;
- Elevate the Open Society Foundations’ work, advising colleagues of important developments and media opportunities;
- Identify possible communications and media risks and develop strategies to mitigate them; handle communications crises.
Training and Networking
- Produce and curate web material;
- Develop and implement social media strategies;
- Work closely with the digital team to implement overall digital strategy for the organization.
- Develop and conduct Communications trainings for program staff and grantees;
- Build and maintain strong relationships with key partners internally and externally across cultures and geographies.
- Other duties as required including occasional contract and budget responsibilities.
- Educated to degree level in a relevant field;
- Over eight years’ relevant communications experience including but not limited to journalism OR experience as a communications professional in the not-for-profit or private sector;
- Excellent English-language writing and editing ability, as well as verbal skills;
- Proven skills in the development of communications strategies;
- Excellent skills in writing for and pitching to media;
- Social media and digital expertise;
- High level of self-motivation, initiative, and creativity;
- Willingness to travel extensively for work;
- Diplomatic manner and ability to adapt to a range of cultures and experiences in interacting with program management, colleagues at all levels, contacts, and the public.
Please apply via our website.
*Please upload a cover letter, resume and published writing sample
as one document when submitting an application. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
We are strengthened by the diversity of our colleagues across the Open Society Foundations, and we welcome and actively seek applications from people of all cultures, backgrounds, and experiences.