UNICEF works in 190 countries and territories to protect the rights of every child. UNICEF has spent 70 years working to improve the lives of children and their families. Defending children's rights throughout their lives requires a global presence, aiming to produce results and understand their effects. UNICEF believes all children have a right to survive, thrive and fulfill their potential – to the benefit of a better world.
For every child, dedication.
Under the supervision of the Director of the Division of Communication (DOC), the incumbent will provide strategic guidance, quality assurance and ensure overall management of DOC to establish UNICEF as the leading advocate and brand for children and their rights across the world. In particular, the incumbent will guide and manage teams within the Advocacy cone in DOC to ensure the timely identification, implementation and monitoring of advocacy and communication strategies to support the achievement of organizational priorities. S/he will establish a systematic approach to identify issues of strategic importance and advocacy opportunities and partnerships for UNICEF, ensuring effective co-ordination of DOC in support of global priorities, in line with UNICEFs Strategic Plan (2018-2021) and key Change Strategies. Emphasizing team-building, s/he will promote the alignment of functions and capacities for an agile, effective and efficient advocacy and communications team. The incumbent will also maintain working relations with key stakeholders in the organization - including HQ divisions, Regional and Country Offices and National Committees - to leverage and maximize the impact of organizational assets to promote children’s issues on the global agenda.
How you can make a difference?
Key functions and accountabilities will include the following:
- Assist the Director (in close coordination with the Deputy Director (Communication)) in coordinating the work of the Division to position UNICEF as the Leading Voice for children, Leading Advocate for Children’s Rights and Leading Brand, and engage 100M people by 2021 for the cause of children. Coordinate and monitor the implementation of the Division work plan and the Global Communication and Advocacy Strategy, and ensure follow up on Division activities and commitments and coordinate with other Divisions, Regional Offices and country offices on global advocacy and communication activities and plans.
- Lead the development of a strong Advocacy, Brand and Partnership strategy within the framework of the UNICEF integrated campaigns with specific focus on civil society and youth engagement working closely together with other Partnership Divisions and the Cause Framework Secretariat;
- Supervise the sections under the Advocacy cone (Brand building, Advocacy and Field Support), helping ensure effective, coordinated and strategic communication activities within and among these sections as appropriate and provide strong support and collaborate with the Communication network in Country and Regional Offices;
- Create and maintain collaboration and partnerships with key internal and external stakeholders, including, among others, UNICEF HQ Divisions and National Committees. Assist the Director in fulfilling and enhancing internal reporting mechanisms and operational monitoring and evaluation.
- As assigned by the Director, assume lead role in planning, organizing and implementing specific communication activities, liaising as needed with other divisions and other parts of the UN system.
- Deputize for the Director during his/her absences from the office and assist in all divisional management activities, including staff matters. Represent the Division as necessary at meetings, conferences, etc.
To qualify as a champion for every child you will have…
- Advanced university degree in journalism, communication, international relations, and social sciences, or University degree along with requisite experience
- Thirteen years of relevant work experience in an international development context, especially at global levels, in the areas of journalism, communication, advocacy and/or campaigns
- Extensive management experience working with a wide range of stakeholders, particularly in the development and implementation of corporate communication priorities for a global organization with HQ, regional and country locations.
- Fluency in English. Knowledge of another UN language is an asset.
- Extensive experience managing teams of senior technical professionals, including in high pressure environments.
- Proven co-ordination, organizational and interpersonal skills that motivate and mobilize staff and stakeholders across different organizational units to collectively drive for results.
- Strong abilities to communicate and persuade both in internal and external environments on strategic organizational priorities.
- Capacity to drive change across the organization (i.e. good manager in the division; ability to reach out and partner; understanding of working in decentralized organizational culture, work effectively with other Divisions, Country and Regional Offices).
For every child, you demonstrate…
- Diversity and inclusion
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org