Banyan Global, an international development consulting firm, is seeking applications from qualified Ethiopian candidates to serve as a Gender Specialist for a USAID-funded agricultural value chain project. Gender Specialist candidates should be based in one of the following regions: Oromia, Amhara, Tigray, Southern Nations Nationalities People’s Regions (SNNPR).
- Provide technical leadership to ensure that project activities address gender considerations, and that project activities specifically address the needs of women and men.
- Ensure that gender is integrated and mainstreamed across the program, including project design, implementation and monitoring, operations, as well as in staff training materials, policies and procedures.
- Pursue opportunities to promote the equitable professional development of women in assisted firms, associations, and institutions.
- Monitor the gender action plan and link it to the overall monitoring and evaluation plan.
- Review and provide input to project work plans, with attention to gender dimensions of technical activities and operations, and discuss gender issues and priorities with project senior management and other technical specialists.
- Conduct gender analyses and research on gender norms and constraints in project locations in Ethiopia.
- Provide strategic technical guidance on gender integration to key personnel, project staff, government ministries, and project partners and stakeholders.
- Engage available and active women’s networks. Design and facilitate gender trainings for staff, stakeholders, and project clients to ensure that the project assesses and accounts for gender and youth considerations.
- Develop appropriate gender resources and tools for project staff.
- Maintain an up-to-date and thorough understanding of gender issues related to project components.
- Facilitate experiential sharing and learning sessions every six months around the challenges and opportunities faced by staff in the field and in their own lives related to gender and youth development at regional level.
- Write quarterly, biannual and annual report.
- Collect case studies.
- Document best practices and share.
- Ethiopian nationality.
- Fluency in English, Amharic and regional languages (Ormifa, Tigrigna & at least one local language from SNNPR) are mandatory.
- Master’s Degree in international development, gender, or another related field.
- Five or more years of experience working on gender integration initiatives.
- Experience designing and facilitating trainings on gender issues and gender integration processes and techniques.
- Strong negotiations and communications skills, and effective report-writing skills English.
- Strong monitoring and evaluation skills, including experience with the selection and monitoring of effective gender indicators.
- Capacity to be original and creative in strategies to integrate gender considerations into non-gender related programming.
- Experience working on USAID and/or other international donor-funded development programs.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org