The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 28 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
IRC's Global Partnerships and Philanthropy (GPP) department is responsible for the global delivery of the International Rescue Committee’s private sector resources (financially contributing circa USD200m per annum, as well as key partnerships and influence that support our mission), and plays an important strategic role in the creation of IRC’s brand, awareness and support for its advocacy goals.
The IRC's strategy centers on its ambition to continue to improve the scale and effectiveness of IRC programs worldwide with evidence of what works best to impact people’s lives in conflict and fragile settings. GPP comprises colleagues and teams delivering marketing, account management, leadership gifts, board liaison, corporate partnerships, brand stewardship and communications to support this work. These colleagues are primarily located in the USA at present – but IRC plans to significantly expand its global fundraising footprint. Other colleagues within IRC are also deeply engaged with private funding & partners – in particular within Europe, US Resettlement and field programmes – and we need to work in close integrated collaboration to ensure best use of resources and highest impact for IRC.
The Associate Director will join the newly-formed Planning and Partnerships unit within the Strategic Growth team of GPP and also report directly - on key projects and initiatives – to the Senior Vice President of the Department. GPP is currently undergoing rapid and ambitious growth, and implementing a wide range of complex and critical projects that require disciplined and focused planning. This role will work closely with the SVP and Planning colleagues to assist with the governance of these critical projects to ensure that GPP provides leadership and accountability at the highest standard and achieves its long-term ambitions:
- Support the Senior Vice President (SVP) in planning and delivering a disciplined regime of planning, decision making and follow through across GPP leadership.
- Support the SVP in providing clear documentation and decision follow up on critical GPP plans and priorities, following the GPP Planning and Partnerships unit formats and disciplines.
- Lead responsibility for ensuring ongoing delivery and monitoring against key GPP strategy documents, including the Balanced Scorecard and the annual Department delivery letter (our annual KPI document).
- Support the SVP in all Leadership Board engagement – in particular ensuring high quality Leadership Board contributions by GPP, including Department traffic lights.
- On lead projects, applying the project management framework throughout project life cycle, including assigning responsibility and ownership of project components, setting milestones for the completion of major tasks; breaking a complex project into manageable parts; organizing and sequencing tasks; managing cost, performance and stakeholder expectations; developing a project plan.
- Monitor and support GPP’s strategic governance mechanisms, including the Income and Engagement Board (IEB) whose purpose is to provide oversight and guidance over the achievement of IRC’s strategic objectives related to expanding private sector fundraising and strategic growth into new markets. The IEB provides consistent visibility to the Leadership Board (LB) on progress of these strategic investments and projects, and provides input to the Quarterly Strategy Review (QSR) meetings where relevant strategic issues and risks facing the organization are surfaced and resolved.
- Coordinate with IEB portfolio managers across GPP teams in the effective execution of governance steering committees and working groups, including but not limited to, ensuring standardized project management routines and fostering greater cross-functional collaboration
- Engage with GPP staff responsible for planning and implementing governance projects and provide direct strategic and problem-solving support to specific initiatives, as needed
- Monitor quarterly and annual targets for QSR metrics and work with GPP metric owners to make revisions as needed
- Adopt a learning mindset and take personal responsibility for continuous performance improvement, and for supporting the ongoing growth and success of GPP against its broader strategic objectives.
Education: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent, with demonstrated high performance, in international relations, development or other relevant degree
Work Experience: At least 5-7 years in a project management or strategic planning role, working closely with senior leaders. Interest or experience in non-profit fundraising, humanitarian aid and/or international development preferred
Demonstrated Skills and Competencies:
- Ability to manage multiple stakeholders with highly varied backgrounds and contexts and to collaborate with them on an ongoing basis
- Ability to engage persuasively and firmly with senior colleagues to elicit outputs & cooperation.
- Experience in facilitating review processes or executive-level meeting routines, and in interacting and communicating effectively with all levels of an organization
- Strategic mindset and approach to solving problems and identifying creative solutions
- Ability to see the “big picture” and prioritize appropriately by focusing on work that will deliver the highest impact to the organization
- A results-driven approach to work, proven personal initiative, and an ability to work proactively and with a strong sense of urgency
- A proven ability to rapidly absorb and master new content and terminology
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills (i.e. day-to-day discussions, team meetings, presentations, written status updates, etc.), as well as, an overall ability to be clear and concise in all communications
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy
- Capability to manage multiple demands and to adapt to new challenges and shifting priorities
- Understanding of the challenges related to implementing strategic and organizational change
- A strong focus on personal growth and development, and a willingness to regularly receive and act on performance feedback in pursuit of continuous professional growth
Language Skills: English (fluent)
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org