The world is facing a learning crisis. 130 Million girls are out of school. Millions more are in school and aren’t learning. A generation of young people - many in Africa - will be ill equipped to live a fulfilling life. ONE is committed to solving this problem. The Policy Manager - Education will lead that charge. Whether supporting ONE’s well connected teams around the world with cutting edge policy analysis to pitch to the highest levels of government, or convening leaders to grapple with the challenges of AI and 21st Century Skills, the Policy Manager will be shaping solutions to one of the most important issues facing the world today. ONE seeks a passionate and skilled entrepreneur with knowledge of the global education sector and an ability to turn that into smart advocacy strategies.
The successful candidate is a self-starter, solution focused, a joy to work with, and motivated by an ambitious mission.
This is a full-time, exempt opportunity reporting directly to the Policy Director for Health and Education. The position can be based in either the Washington, DC, London, UK or Abuja, Nigeria office. Candidates must have the right to work in the country location for which they are applying.
IN THIS ROLE, YOU WILL:
- Provide world-class policy guidance, research and analysis of development finance in support of ONE’s global lobbying, advocacy, media and campaigning work.
- Contribute to cutting-edge thinking on emerging global policy areas, and support broader teamwork on global health, agriculture and inclusive growth, and transparency as needed.
- Recommend smart solutions/best practices that solve complex problems.
- Succinctly summarize key trends and results from analysis for broad consumption.
- Prepare written documents on policy issues related to development finance, including briefings, report chapters, policy analyses, blog posts, op eds, talking points, and other products for some of the most influential people in the world.
- Forge impactful relationships with external partners, experts in the field, thought leaders, and other stakeholders.
- Manage expenditures responsibly within budget, research projected costs for departmental activities and ensure proper approvals have been obtained for business expenditures.
- Manage junior staff.
- As a member of the Global Policy team, proactively contribute to the development of new or emerging global policy areas and ONE publications.
- Additional duties as determined by the Policy Director.
WHAT WE NEED FROM YOU:
- A top class education in international development, international affairs, economics or another development-related field. Master’s degree preferred but not required.
- At least five (5) years of applicable experience within an international development capacity.
- A commitment to ONE’s mission.
- Ability to manage multiple, shifting priorities under tight deadlines while performing in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment.
- Excellent research, writing, and analytical skills with the ability to research a wide-range of topics using multiple sources.
- Significant experience working on development policy, preferably Africa policy, in an NGO, think tank or government agency.
- Strong working knowledge of global education data, and the ability to quickly interpret and analyse trends.
- Demonstrable understanding of the links between advocacy, policy-making, legislation, and programme implementation.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively in a global team environment.
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, Google Suite, and fluent at advanced Excel functions.
- Knowledge of R, Stata, Tableau, Python or other modern data science tools desirable.
- Action oriented and solution focused.
- Flexible and resourceful.
- Highly organized, detail oriented and self-motivated.
- A collaborative mindset and strong interpersonal skills.
- Remain positive in high pressure and stressful situations.
- Critical thinking, communication, and relationship-building skills.
- Independent problem solver.
LANGUAGE SKILLS: Fluency in English required. Fluency in other languages highly preferred such as Spanish, French, Arabic, or sign language highly desired.
TRAVEL: Some travel to international and/or domestic locations likely.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENT: Standard office work environment. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org