We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law. CATEGORYInformation Technology DESCRIPTION
Edgesource is seeking a LAN/WAN Support Specialist to support our team in Washington, DC. This is an opening for a LAN/WAN Support Specialist to support a Department of State (DoS) Bureau of Information Resource Management (IRM) program. This program provides transparent, interconnected systems and security supporting the DoS in successfully carrying out its U.S. foreign policy mission. IRM provides enterprise architecture design, engineering, operations and maintenance support services for desktops, servers, networks, firewalls, and enterprise applications across the Department. Program is named "Vanguard" and is an IT consolidation consisting of the Department's servers, mainframes, network devices, network perimeter, anti-virus engineering, public key infrastructure (PKI)/biometrics/encryption, monitoring tools, telephony, mobile computing platform, virtual environment, and enclave design/security engineering.
This is a mid-level position within the Vanguard 2.2.1 Program’s Service Management Office (SMO), acting as an LAN/WAN Support Specialist. This position is for shift work on the LAN/WAN Operations team supporting the Domestic Technical Services (DTS) branch of DoS. The position directly supports DoS on-site to monitor the LAN/WAN network and assist in troubleshooting and resolution.
Description of Duties:
- Provides technical guidance for directing and monitoring information systems operations.
- Implements and maintains network systems.
- Monitors network infrastructures and performs troubleshooting as issues arise.
- Monitors and responds to complex technical control facility hardware and software problems.
- Escalates issues as required to Tier III staff, and monitors issues through the trouble life cycle.
- Assists with updating standard operating procedures, network topology documentation, and other documentation.
- Documents activities in Remedy helpdesk and incident management system, as part of day-to-day operations and to support SLAs, reporting metrics, and key performance indicators.
- Performs IOS and software upgrades on network infrastructures.
- Ensures mid-shift SLAs are met and identifies trouble areas that could negatively impact the ability to maintain SLAs.
- Performs rack-mounting and de-installing communications equipment and associated cabling.
- Associates degree or equivalent training, and 3 years’ experience with voice, data and LAN/WAN communications systems.
- Operator/maintenance training or experience on various crypto equipment such as KG-84 series, KG-75, KG-175D, and TACLANE.
- Experience in the tech control environment.
- Basic electronics or computer repair skills.
- Technical writing skills.
- Ability to handle moderately complex assignments with little supervision and to determine methods to accomplish assigned tasks.
- Defense Red Switch Network (DRSN) experience.
- Experience with Remedy ticketing system.
- Technical training in computer science or related field.
- CCNA certification.
- Network+ or comparable certification.
- Experience repairing and terminating fiber optic cables.
- AutoCAD or Visio experience.
- Radio/satellite background.
- ITIL ® Foundation certification.
- Familiarity with DoS environment (data and voice networks, IT security systems, policies and procedures), Foreign Affairs Handbooks (FAHs), Foreign Affairs Manuals (FAMs) preferred.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org