Summary of Duties and Functions
The Investment Centre Division (TCI) supports countries increase and improve investments in food security, nutrition, agriculture, poverty reduction rural development, sustainable natural resource management and climate change mitigation and/or adaptation (CCM/A), in line with FAO’s Strategic Framework and Objectives. It assists governments and country stakeholders, main development partners, in particular international financing institutions (IFIs), with the strategic planning and implementation of their investments to achieve growth, poverty alleviation, food security and nutrition goals. TCI is a multidisciplinary division composed of three regionally focused services and advisory team.
Under the overall guidance of the Director, Investment Centre Division (TCI), and as a member of the Management Team, the Service Chief will liaise with cooperating partners, governments, FAO Decentralized Offices (DOs) and technical units for the planning and implementation of the work programme in Europe, Central Asia, Near East, North Africa, Latin America and the Caribbean, in line with FAO’s Strategic Framework, Medium-term Plan and biennial Programme of Work and Budget. Specifically, the incumbent will:
- be responsible for the operational planning, implementation, technical supervision, output monitoring and quality control of the service work programme;
- ensure the provision of investment-related support services to member countries, mainly for the identification, preparation, implementation support and evaluation of investment projects and programmes;
- oversee the preparation of project feasibility studies, sector and subsector studies in collaboration with governments, project beneficiaries and other stakeholders;
- promote the development of national capacities for investment planning, formulation and implementation, through the development and dissemination of guidance materials, formal and on-the-job training, and use of national experts;
- ensure linkages between the work and staff of the Division with DOs and headquarters units, on technical and managerial issues;
- contribute to FAO’s studies and technical papers, with special reference to investment-related topics;
- support FAO member countries in mobilizing private sector investment and the coordination of donor in-country activities, in collaboration with other responsible units of the Organization;
- develop new partnerships and liaises with senior counterparts in partner agencies for the planning of activities in accordance with strategic priorities and for mutual benefit;
- manage a multi-disciplinary team of professional staff based at FAO headquarters and in DOs;
- ensure the recruitment of qualified experts, mentor, coach and support career development and capacity development of the service’s staff.
- Advanced university degree in economics, agriculture sciences, rural infrastructure engineering, environmental sciences, natural resources management, public services management, business administration, public policy or administration or other closely related fields;
- Extensive relevant professional experience in Food Security, Nutrition, Agriculture, Rural Development (FSNARD) sector studies and reviews, policy and strategy development, identification, formulation, implementation support and evaluation of investment projects and programmes in developing and/or transition countries;
- Knowledge of policies of major IFIs and other development partners;
- Demonstrated management experience in large international or national institutions;
- Ability to lead and work effectively with a diverse team of people of different national and cultural backgrounds in an international setting;
- Working knowledge of English, French or Spanish and limited knowledge of one of the other two or Arabic, Chinese or Russian.
- Results focus: Takes accountability for the delivery of agreed results in service of FAO’s strategic framework
- Leading, engaging and empowering others: Coordinates, directs, facilitates and recognizes team efforts; creates an enabling environment and assists others to realize and develop their potential
- Communication: Encourages and contributes to clear and open communication
- Partnering and Advocating: Promotes ideas and develops partnerships to advance the Organization’s work
- Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement: Continually seeks to improve the knowledge, skills and work processes of oneself and others
- Strategic thinking: Makes informed and coherent decisions aligned with broader goals and strategies.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org