The SPA Defense Strategy and Policy Team within the Strategic Systems Analysis Group (USSAG) advises and provides analysis to senior Department of Defense customers on a wide range of national level issues including; the development of defense strategy concepts, deterrence related policy and strategy issues, and development of advanced operating concepts. The team has broad expertise working at the most senior of levels of government, and specializes in integrating complex and crosscutting issues for senior decisions makers.
Perform work on various National Security topics in support of a range of US Dept. of Defense customers, though with special focus on Navy strategy and policy customers. Responsible for leading and participating in analytical studies, developing or reviewing papers that analyze or recommend positions on issues, developing and presenting briefing materials, and developing materials necessary for policy execution. Function as an SME and provide consistent thought leadership to customers in relation to topics concerning defense strategy, Navy strategy and policy, and potentially also Navy Surface Force high consequence event prevention. Interact across multiple parts of government and the public in the course of their duties. The ability to quickly digest and interpret large amounts of information is essential.
• Master’s Degree in Political Science, International Relations, National Security Studies or related field.
• 15+ years of experience is desired in national security related fields with at least 2 years working with or in the U.S. Department of Defense or Armed Services.
• Experience directly interacting with, briefing, and advising senior DoD or Armed Service decision makers.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills and strong presentation skills.
• Proficient in using Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
• Must be comfortable working in a fast paced and ambiguous environment.
• Must be capable of leading projects and teams.
• Must be capable of breaking down complex issues into simplified problem statements and laying out objective approaches to identify and compare the merits of competing solutions.
• Must be capable of clearly communicating complex ideas in an accessible and understandable way, including presenting material to senior decision-makers or briefing large groups.
• Interim or final TOP SECRET security clearance.
• Education in deterrence theory, military strategy/history, naval strategy/history, modern Joint or naval operations, strategic communications, or European or Indo-Pacific regional studies.
• Service as a commissioned U.S. Navy officer with Command at Sea experience.
• Direct experience with operational planning is a plus, and with naval/Joint operational planning.
• Direct experience with development, analysis, or implementation of DoD/Service strategy and policy.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org