African Wildlife Foundation (AWF) works with the people of Africa to ensure its wildlife and wild lands thrive in modern Africa. The organization is seeking a high-performing and results-oriented Communication & Advocacy Specialist who will support the implementation of internal and external communications strategies and plans designed to promote AWF’s media and advocacy activities and successes.
Key Duties & Responsibilities
- Prepare press releases, media briefs, reports, talking points, newsletters, brochures, and donor visibility materials, and organize advocacy campaigns.
- Assist in the development of annual work plans for monitoring progress activities and achievements and regular updates.
- Build understanding and support for all AWF programs and their aims among key internal and external stakeholders.
- Proactively identify opportunities, priority events, and platforms to reach target audiences.
- Plan effective events and meetings to convene decision makers and influencers.
- Working with the Director Media Relations & Advocacy, implement a communication and media strategy to advance AWF’s program communication in Africa, including media field trips and impact tracking.
- Organise media tours for key spokespeople to engage with editors and writers.
- Working with the Media Relations Manager in Washington D.C., create an annual editorial calendar, determining new and existing channels for engagement.
- Develop and maintain close and regular contact with field staff working across the continent.
- Under the guidance of the Director Media Relations & Advocacy, manage the President’s technical advocacy and media engagement diary.
- Create policy engagement opportunities and participate in strategic policy forums and events to promote AWF’s work.
- Represent AWF at international and regional events.
- Perform other work-related duties as required.
- A degree in Communications, International Relations, Political Science or other relevant field, plus 7 years’ experience in journalism, public relations or development communications. A Master’s degree is an added advantage.
- Strong media and government contacts across Africa.
- Proficiency in use of social networking and new media tools.
- Superior writing skills and with an eye for news (writing samples will be required of all shortlisted candidates).
- Demonstrated experience in developing messages and communications activities to influence decision makers.
- Strong understanding of African political landscape and trends.
- Experience working in Africa and communicating with African audiences.
- Ability to exercise confidentiality, tact, and discretion when dealing with diverse groups of people.
- Adept at navigating a complex team environment, across geographies and cultures.
- Knowledge of French a distinct advantage.
- Works well independently with little supervision, as well as within a dynamic team.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org