If you have a passion for making the world a better place and want to have a front row seat to the world stage, USIP is the place for you.
We are a nonpartisan institute chartered by Congress to tackle the world’s toughest problems. Working in conflict zones around the world, our staff advise and support the military, government officials and community leaders – to promote knowledge and practices that prevent, mitigate and resolve violent conflict. To learn more about USIP programs and job openings go to https://www.usip.org/about/careers. The Institute is headquartered in Washington DC with staff working in 22 different countries, at any given time up to 20% of the staff could be deployed working in the field.
We are seeking two research assistants to support USIP’s Africa Team on a variety of tasks and projects.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Research Assistants (two) (RA) will support USIP’s Africa Programs on a variety of tasks and projects. Duties will include:
- Conducting research focused to support priority countries including Nigeria, Sudan, South Sudan, and the Central African Republic.
- Conduct research on the role of state peacebuilding mechanisms in elections and national level peacebuilding;
- Supporting the Africa program strategic communication, including research and writing for events, tracking and maintaining its contacts database (i.e. Salesforce);
- Conducting literature reviews and other background research for Sudan to support the Sudan Working Group;
- Support data analysis and production of data visualizations for the Africa team;
- Providing support to the Africa Program’s events;
- A minimum of 1+ years of related experience is required.
- Must be a full-time student in the Washington Metropolitan area
- A Bachelor’s degree in international affairs or related field required.
- Demonstrated interest in Sub-Saharan Africa, with preference for knowledge of conflict dynamics in Nigeria, Sudan, South Sudan, and CAR.
- Interest in peacebuilding, conflict analysis desired, and data visualization.
- Experience with organizing, analyzing, and managing data and databases.
- Basic spoken Arabic and/or French language proficiency preferred, but not required.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org