The Program Associate will work closely with the OGP Local Program Manager to support the successful delivery of the OGP Local Program. (S)he will help advance the progress of local government and civil society partners in the Open Government Partnership and support the cross-fertilisation of the local, national and global OGP work.
Responsibilities will include day to day program coordination across regional and thematic teams and supporting the Program Manager in executing her duties. Working with the OGP Local Program Manager, the Program Associate will also contribute to outreach and communication with participants interested in joining/engaging with the OGP Local program. (S)he will also be tasked with coordinating internal and external learning opportunities and events, and advance learning around local/urban work in OGP. (S)he may advance towards working on providing direct support to OGP Local entities.
Reporting to the OGP Local Program Manager.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
OGP LOCAL PROGRAM SUPPORT
- Provide day to day program coordination and support to and across OGP regional and thematic teams where it comes to their OGP Local responsibilities and opportunities;
- Support coordination; as well as logistical and programmatic preparation for workshops and events;
- Produce learning and analysis on the various approaches to engaging with local entities in OGP;
- In partnership with OGP’s Knowledge and Learning team create peer learning opportunities for OGP Local participants.;
- Liaise with OGP’s Communications team on creating visibility and content around the OGP Local Program and participants.
OGP LOCAL COMMUNITY OF PRACTICE SUPPORT
- Contribute to outreach and communication with participants interested in joining/engaging with the OGP Local program;
- Own the day-to-day engagement of OGP with the UCLG partners on the Community of Practice;
- Support the OGP Local Program Manager in building of partnerships with City or Local networks such as C40, UCLG, etc.
- Support the OGP Local Program Manager and other colleagues engaged in Local support in their duties, for example with conducting analyses, preparing presentations and briefing notes for meetings;
- Contribute to the overall Country Support Team activities.
- Undergraduate degree in relevant field (e.g. urban planning/studies, development, political science, or international relations)
- Up to 2 years experience post undergraduate degree, including experience working with civil society organizations and/or government, preferably at a subnational or local scale.;
- Some experience working on issues related to open government, transparency, accountability, and citizen engagement and government responsiveness.
- Familiarity with local, municipal, or regional government and/or civil society work is highly desirable.
- Experience working with diverse stakeholders, across government or civil society/community organizations
- Experience and comfort in working effectively with partners and colleagues from diverse contexts, cultural backgrounds, with different communication styles, etc.
- Writing and communication skills for crafting strong messages to partner, participants, colleagues, etc. and analysis skills for assessing learning from the program.
- Experience coordinating and working across internal departments or regions and across topics.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Self starter who can work independently, but likes working as part of a (virtual) team, proactive in sharing information with team members to update on both progress and setbacks;
- Solid understanding of local issues and familiarity with global urban/local challenges a plus
- High emotional intelligence, with a healthy sense of humor;
- Sound judgment, professionalism and integrity;
- Good writing, presentation, and analysis skills, articulate;
- Experience working in multi-stakeholder environments or experience in working with governments;
- Strong interpersonal skills with comfort working across languages, cultures, timezones, communication channels, etc.;
- Ability to build strong working relationships across a multicultural virtual team;
- Fluency in English a requirement; working knowledge of another language a strong plus;
- Ability to travel for work (15-25%).
Please submit a cover letter and current CV as attachments. (Please add ‘Program Assistant, Local’ to the subject of your email.) Applications will be accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis, so applicants are encouraged to submit their materials as soon as possible. The cut off for accepting applications is July 20, 2018.
Because of the volume of applications, we will not be able to respond to every applicant. We thank applicants in advance for their expressions of interest.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org