ONE is a campaigning and advocacy organization of more than nine million people around the world taking action to end extreme poverty and preventable disease, particularly in Africa. We believe the fight against poverty isn’t about charity, but about justice and equality. Whether lobbying political leaders in world capitals or running cutting-edge grassroots campaigns, ONE pressures governments to do more to fight AIDS and other preventable, treatable diseases in the poorest places on the planet. We empower small-holder farmers, expand access to energy, and combat corruption to ensure governments are accountable to their citizens. Cofounded by Bono, ONE is strictly nonpartisan funded by individual philanthropists and corporations.
ONE’s members are critical to this work. They come from every walk of life and from across the political spectrum. They’re artists and activists, faith and business leaders, students and scientists. They take action day in, day out — organizing, mobilizing, educating, and advocating so that people will have the chance not just to survive, but to thrive.
ONE teams in Washington D.C., New York, London, Johannesburg, Brussels, Berlin, Paris, Ottawa and Abuja to educate and lobby governments to save and improve millions of lives.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
The Deputy France Director and Senior Media Manager (Interim) will lead our advocacy, media and campaigning work in France, in close coordination with the France Director. This role is crucial in maintaining our engagement and dialogue with key individuals and organisations operating within government, civil society, the private sector and the media. As a senior role, the post-holder will be a member of the Europe Leadership Team.
The ideal candidate will have knowledge of the international development agenda, experience of lobbying the French government on our issues and a demonstrable understanding of how creative campaigning, advocacy and media combine to deliver policy change. The candidate will also possess strategic thinking, analytical, planning and communications skills; experience of managing people and budgets within a global organisation, and will be a strong collaborator and team player with a deep commitment to ONE’s goals and priorities.
This role is based in Paris for a 6-month period to cover a sabbatical leave.
IN THIS ROLE, YOU WILL
- Lead on the development and implementation of ONE’s campaigning, talents and media strategy in France, including the management of the budget and the team, in line with ONE’s advocacy objectives;
- Further develop the strategic relationship with the media, incl. the development of new contacts, pitching of highly impactful and high level stories to print, broadcast and online media;
- Assist the France Director in the preparation of interviews;
- Edit the media and campaigns content of ONE in France;
- Work closely with communications, media, campaigns and marketing staff across the Organization to leverage ONE’s campaign assets, maximize media coverage, develop the ONE brand, and increase the quality and quantity of ONE membership in France in line with the Global Annual Plan;
- Lead on the development and implementation of ONE’s global Francophone media strategy, devising and implementing proactive and reactive media strategies as required;
- Continue the development and maintenance of strong relationships with, and represent ONE with talents, partners and the media in support of ONE’s organizational objectives;
- Deputize on all matters, incl. advocacy, outside representation and finance and HR, for the France Director as requested ; work closely with the France director on overall strategy for ONE in France;
- Undertake any other duties as requested in the framework of the current missions, incl. as part of global projects, for instance as media lead for ONE at international summits.
WHAT WE NEED FROM YOU
- Master’s degree or equivalent work experience in communications, international development, journalism or other relevant field;
- Substantial experience of working in a senior level position within international development, civil society, media or government;
- Significant understanding of development issues affecting Africa;
- Proven track record of designing and successfully implementing effective lobbying and communications strategies in France;
- Demonstrable high level PR and marketing skills and instincts;
- Ability to work effectively and sensitively with a wide range of partners; highly proficient at establishing strong partnerships across organisations and influencing stakeholders to achieve optimal outcomes;
- The gravitas and judgement to represent ONE at high level meetings and conferences;
- A commitment to ONE’s policy priorities and a clear understanding of the links between policy, lobbying, campaigning and media work and of how policy change can be achieved through effective advocacy;
- Outstanding analytical, interpersonal, and written and oral communication skills;
- Ability to manage competing priorities in a rapidly changing environment;
- Ability to apply good judgement consistently and make good and responsible decisions;
- Proven interpersonal skills and a strong sense of teamwork and collaboration;
- Experience of managing people and budgets, and directing team performance for maximum success;
- Fluent spoken and written English and French are essential. Other languages desirable;
- Patience and a sense of humour.
- An understanding of the complexities surrounding collaboration in a global matrix organization;
- Highly organized, detail oriented and self-motivated;
- Collaborative mindset and strong interpersonal skills;
- Remain positive in high pressure and stressful situations;
- Critical thinking, communication, and relationship-building skills;
- Well organized, detail oriented and analytical;
- Action oriented and results focused;
- Flexible and resourceful approach;
- Independent problem solver.
Fluent in spoken and written French and English.
Occasional travels to Europe and USA.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENT
Standard office work environment. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org