ONE is a campaigning and advocacy organization of more than nine million people around the world taking action to end extreme poverty and preventable disease, particularly in Africa. We believe the fight against poverty isn’t about charity, but about justice and equality. Whether lobbying political leaders in world capitals or running cutting-edge grassroots campaigns, ONE pressures governments to do more to fight AIDS and other preventable, treatable disease. We empower small-holder farmers, advocate for girls education, expand access to health, and combat corruption to ensure governments are accountable to their citizens. Cofounded by Bono, ONE is strictly nonpartisan funded by individual philanthropists and corporations.
ONE members are critical to this work. They come from every walk of life and from across the political spectrum. They’re artists and activists, faith and business leaders, students and scientists. They take action day in, day out — organizing, mobilizing, educating, and advocating so that people will have the chance not just to survive, but to thrive.
ONE teams in Washington D.C., New York, London, Johannesburg, Dakar, Brussels, Berlin, Paris, Ottawa and Abuja advocate for justice and lobby governments to save and improve millions of lives.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
Employees of ONE work in a collaborative and creative environment towards reaching a common goal of ending extreme poverty and preventable disease. When you work for ONE, you will receive an exceptional benefits package along with the opportunity to contribute to worldwide causes impacting those most in need.
The Senior Director for ONE in Africa will work alongside the Africa Executive Director to provide leadership and management of ONE’s Policy, Advocacy and Campaigning strategies as well as activities across the continent. The Senior Director will work closely with Africa market leads and other senior staff across the organisation to maintain ONE’s engagement and dialogue with leaders in government, business, and civil society across the region ensuring that ONE’s priorities are closely aligned with those of our African partners. The ideal candidate will have extensive knowledge of the international development agenda, substantial advocacy, lobbying and campaigning experience at a senior level. The successful candidate will also possess strategic thinking, analytical, planning and communications skills; experience of managing people and budgets within a global organisation, and will be a strong collaborator and team player with a deep commitment to ONE’s goals and priorities.
This is a full-time, opportunity reporting directly to the Africa Executive Director and can be based in any of the three (3) Africa hubs (Johannesburg, Dakar and Nairobi).
IN THIS ROLE, YOU WILL
- In collaboration and consultation with the Africa Executive Director, develop, implement and evaluate ONE’s advocacy and campaigning strategy in Africa, coordinating desired policy and advocacy outcomes across our key African markets.
- Advise the Africa Executive Director on the strategic directions for ONE in Africa
- Oversee the implementation of ONE’s Africa engagement model as well as direct and provide strategic leadership on all Africa campaigns
- Serve as the substantive Head of Africa Campaigns, at a continental and global level
- Support the Executive Director in maintaining a holistic overview and strategic oversight of policy matters in diverse African markets
- Monitor emerging global issues, analyze their implications for ONE in Africa and advise on the appropriate responses
- Support the Africa Executive Director and other senior staff to engage meaningfully with governments, African institutions, media and civil society while securing strategic partnerships
- Represent ONE in high level dialogue with key leaders on substantive policy issues
- Assist the Africa Executive Director to engage and dialogue with African leaders to ensure their input into the development of ONE’s key policy, campaigning and advocacy areas
- Work closely with members of the Africa team and other relevant staff across the organisation to ensure that ONE’s policy, campaigns and media positions and products have highly credible African content
- Secure access for ONE to high-level strategic meetings, conferences attend these high-level meetings and represent the Africa Executive Director as necessary
- Keep the global team informed of Africa team activities being undertaken in fulfilment of the objectives of the organization
- Coordinate the production of key strategic reports and prepare planning papers on key issues and key moments
- Foster a healthy environment to build and develop strong team cohesion for the Africa team
- Fiscally responsible for development and management of budget for ONE in Africa program, ensuring the budget is in line with the strategic plan, properly managed to prevent fraud and mishandling in line with program and resource plans
- Responsible for resource allocation, including spending and hiring of personnel.
- Collaborate with and contribute to EMT in defining ONE’s goals and strategic objectives.
- Additional duties as appropriate for the role
WHAT WE NEED FROM YOU
- A Master's degree with a concentration in international development, grassroot mobilization, public policy or creative arts degree with a focus on policy, economics, or a related field
- A minimum of ten (10) years of relevant experience, in civil society, government, academia, development or the business sector, at a senior level
- Extensive experience of working in sub-Saharan Africa in a senior level position within international development, civil society, media or government
- Extensive high level contacts with relevant African leaders and/or their advisors
- A global outlook with a clear understanding of the mechanisms of Western and African political landscapes
- Advanced leadership skills, critical thinking and problem solving
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, Google Suite
- Ability to manage multiple, shifting priorities under tight deadlines while performing in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment
- Related work history in poverty and infectious disease alleviation, advocacy, policy, legislation and/or demonstrable interest in the causes ONE supports
- Ability to work and live in the Johannesburg, Dakar or Nairobi is required. The selected candidate will need to have the proper credentials to work in the selected location.
- An understanding of the complexities surrounding collaboration in a global matrixed organization
- Highly organized, detail oriented and self-motivated
- Collaborative mindset and strong interpersonal skills
- Remain positive in high pressure and stressful situations
- Critical thinking, communication, and relationship-building skills
- Strong data analytical and critical thinking skills
- Action oriented and results focused
- Flexible and resourceful approach
- Independent problem solver
Fluency in English required. Fluency in other languages highly preferred such as French, Arabic, Portuguese or sign language highly desired.
Travel up to 10% international and/or domestic.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENT:
Standard office work environment. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org