The International Holocaust Remembrance Alliance unites governments and experts to strengthen, advance and promote Holocaust education, research and remembranceand to uphold the commitments that are in enshrined in the 2000 Stockholm Declaration.
Description of Tasks and Responsibilities of the Deputy Executive Secretary
The Deputy Executive Secretary (Deputy) reports directly to the Executive Secretary of the IHRA Permanent Office (PO), as do the Program Officers and the Communication Officer. The Deputy also represents the organization as a whole in cases where the Executive Secretary is unavailable.
The position requires a high degree of professional autonomy, engagement and initiative.
The tasks of the Deputy include (yet are not necessarily limited to):
1. Shared responsibilities with Executive Secretary according to the IHRA’s organizational framework:
- Advice and support for Chairmanships, Honorary Chairman, Advisor to the IHRA and Member Country delegations;
- Representation of the IHRA;
- Legal matters (oversight/coordination);
- Special projects.
2. Support of Executive Secretary in change management:
- Implementation and further development of organizational changes (pertaining to strategy, structure, and evaluation and monitoring).
3. Liaising with the Permanent International Partners;
4. Responsibility for membership process of candidate countries (Observer and Liaison Countries);
5. Coordination of Country Reporting;
6. Overall management of the IHRA budgets, including the annual audits;
7. Overall management of PO administration:
- Contract management;
- HR administration;
- IT managemen.
8. Supervision of Executive Assistant and other support staff;
9. Management of the IHRA Support Association (Verein zur Förderung der International Holocaust Remembrance Alliance e.V.);
10. Support for Chairmanships regarding Plenary infrastructure (including site visits) and handover.
Applicants for the position of Deputy Executive Secretary should meet the following requirements:
- Prior job experience in comparable position(s), especially managerial competence;
- Prior job experience in international organization(s), especially within challenging political contexts (multi-cultural, multi-continent, multi-religious);
- Proven knowledge about global political developments, particularly with regard to Europe and the Americas as well as relevant international organizations;
- High proficiency in German (business fluent, oral and written);
- High proficiency in English (business fluent, oral and written);
- Necessary: Willingness to foster and advance the work of the organization, fueled by a strong personal interest in Holocaust education, remembrance and research;
- Excellent diplomatic, social and communication skills, empathy but also stamina and the ability to argue convincingly in challenging circumstances;
- Willingness to engage in extensive and regular business travel, sometimes on short notice (biannual Plenary meetings, visiting Member and Observer Countries, liaising with Permanent International Partner organizations, attending commemoration events, etc.);
- Ability to cope with a high workload (permanent) and proven resilience to stress;
- Ability to produce excellent results under time pressure;
- Ability to think and act tactically as well as strategically, and to keep the bigger picture in mind;
- Integrity and discretion;
- Willingness to work long hours whenever required, especially during the preparation periods for the biannual Plenary meetings;
- High cross-cultural sensitivit;
- Experience in budgeting/accounting/controlling;
- Experience in Office 365/SharePoint.
- Type of employment: Full time (40 h per week);
- Point of contact: Dr. Kathrin Meyer (IHRA Executive Secretary);
- Address: Friedrichstraße 200, 10117 Berlin;
- Start date: 1 October 2018;
- Application due date: 5 July 2018;
- Location of employment: IHRA Permanent Office, Berlin, Germany (extensive business travel required, as described above).
Required documents: a) Letter of motivation and CV (should include salary (in English) expectations and earliest start date); b) University and other educational certificates/degrees; c) Letters of recommendation from relevant prior positions.
Please collate all of your documents into one pdf-document and send it exclusively via e-mail (to the attention of the IHRA Executive Secretary).
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org