- The Legislative Affairs Officer will assist in promoting, coordinating, and managing administrative tasks related to all aspects of the Bureau’s various legislative efforts in the South and Central Asian region. These include (but are not limited to):
- Scheduling SCA Bureau contacts with Members of Congress and their Staffs
- Preparing and/or coordinating the preparation of briefing materials for bureau officials to use in contacts with Members of Congress and their staffsMonitoring congressional travel to SCA countries and coordinate bureau support for CODEL and STAFFDEL pre-briefs and out briefs as needed
- Responding to or coordinating the bureau response to formal and informal congressional correspondence
- Maintaining internal tracking system of legislative taskers, key congressional committees and staffers, and ensuring clear communication with the SCA front office, regional desks, embassies and other stakeholders on legislative issues
- Creating and implementing legislative strategies to advance the bureau’s funding requests and other strategic policy initiatives
- Additionally, in close coordination with other elements of SCA, the Legal Affairs Officer will monitor developments in key committees related to South and Central Asia, providing timely assessments and analysis, and contribute to well-coordinated policy recommendations for presentation to the RA Economic Team Lead, Deputy Director, Director, and SCA Front Office.
- As appropriate and in accordance with Department guidelines regarding identifications of contractors, the Legal Affairs Officer will represent the office and SCA Bureau, as necessary, at meetings within the Department and in negotiations with other agencies, foreign governments, and non-governmental organizations on various issues, with a particular focus on devising new ways to advance legislative priorities for the South and Central Asia bureau.
- The Legislative Affairs Officer will perform all other duties required by the office and SCA Bureau as assigned.
- The Legislative Affairs Officer will apply internal control measures to protect organizational integrity and prevent unauthorized use or misappropriation of sensitive and classified material; report instances of security violations/problems to the appropriate supervisory/management official; and assume full responsibility for safeguarding all classified and sensitive but unclassified material and equipment in assignment area(s)
- Possess or be eligible to obtain an active Top Secret Security Clearance
- Experience working within time constraints and under pressure
- Working knowledge of personal computers and general administrative practices
- A Bachelor’s and/or Master’s degree from an accredited institution
- Superior attention to detail, strong multi-tasking and organizational skills
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
- Superior interpersonal skills and proven ability to work well with others
- Ability to work independently on projects and issues within overall policy guidelines
- Experience meeting tight deadlines in a fast-paced, office environment
- Knowledge of international affairs
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org