National Endowment for Democracy (NED)
The National Endowment for Democracy (NED), a Congressionally-funded, private, nonprofit grant making organization that works to support democracy around the world, seeks a Senior Director, Asia. This position is based in Washington, D.C.
As the Endowment’s senior program staff, the Senior Director, Asia is responsible for the implementation of a strategy that integrates organizational and program goals, priorities, and values to promote democracy in the Asia region and functions as the principal advisor on the region to the Endowment’s leadership. The Senior Director demonstrates deep commitment to the Endowment’s mission, exceptional political acumen and programmatic judgment, as well as strong leadership and management skills.
- Develops and directs implementation of grant-making strategy for the region:
- Defines funding priorities;
- Ensures high-level of financial and programmatic oversight of grants;
- Ensures rigorous review and evaluation of grants;
- Manages production and review of material for the Board of Directors and other audiences;
- Directs program collaboration with other initiatives housed at the NED, including public affairs, networking, fellowships, research.
- Manages a 10 to 15-member professional staff:
- Hires and trains staff;
- Assigns staff responsibilities;
- Monitors staff performance and development;
- Ensures adherence to policies.
- Manages program budget, including annual appropriation and other sources of revenue;
- Manages program administrative budget to ensure alignment with funding priorities and stewardship of resources;
- Manages implementation of policies; presents policy adjustments and revisions proactively.
- Represents the Asia program with Endowment leadership, the Board of Directors, the core institutes, government officials, elected representatives, and the media
- Manages and develops high-level relationships with regional experts, policy analysts, government officials, foundation representatives, and civil society leaders in the United States and abroad
- Participates regularly in public events and other outreach efforts, including giving talks, speaking on panels, briefing stakeholders, and writing articles and op-eds
- Maintains high-level of knowledge of democracy issues, politics in the region, grantee activities and impact, and funding environment
- Travels regularly to the region
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field required; Master’s or Ph.D. preferred;
- 15 to 20 years of democracy promotion-related program experience;
- Extensive field-based travel and experience;
- 5-10 years of management experience.
- Other Qualifications:
- Recognized expertise on multiple countries within the region; demonstrated interest in and familiarity with the three sub-regions – South, Southeast and East Asia;
- Fluency in at least one Asian language, preferred;
- In depth understanding of civil society organizations, networks, and issues in the region;
- Proven record of accomplishment with respect to strengthening democratic institutions and practices.
- Excellent leadership, management, and interpersonal skills;
- Strong written and oral communication ability, including public speaking;
- Proven political assessment aptitude;
- Sound understanding of and relationships with government officials, Congressional staff, think tanks, and non-governmental organizations in Washington, D.C.;
- Adept at managing relationships among diverse groups and individuals;
- Able to articulate clear and compelling reasons for courses of action;
- Possesses a firm grasp of domestic and regional policies and trends that affect the Endowment and its mission in the region;
- Able to create a positive, productive and collaborative work environment that fosters staff development.
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org
Candidates must include a cover letter, resume, completed NED employment application, salary history with requirements, and contact information for three professional references. Please send to [email protected], with Job #1840 – SD ASIA - YOUR NAME in the subject line. The NED is an Equal Opportunity Employer. For more information, please visit our website at www.ned.org. Please, no phone call inquiries. www.ned.org/NED-Full-Employment-Application.pdf