The Journal of Palestine Studies (JPS), established in 1971 and co-published with University of California Press (UCP), is the leading academic quarterly devoted to the study of Palestinian affairs and the Arab-Israeli conflict. JPS offers a range of perspectives by global scholars and public figures. Its peer-reviewed articles, reports, essays, and book reviews cover a broad range of topics, including politics, history, culture, and economics. The journal is the flagship publication of the Institute for Palestine Studies (IPS), a private, nonprofit, nonpartisan academic institution that is unaffiliated with any political organization or government.
JPS is currently recruiting for the position of Assistant Editor, Production, a full-time position located at its Washington, DC, office. The position reports to the JPS Managing Editor and is part of a collaborative, collegial editorial team.
- Proofreading all JPS content in accordance with Chicago Manual of Style, including inside & outside covers, ads, images, captions, table of contents, and all text content; correcting/filling out all endnotes; formatting copy; and some fact-checking to ensure information is accurate and complete, before copy is sent out to external proofreaders.
- Coordinating and handling the entire production process with University of California Press, the compositor, and the printer, from uploading the journal manuscript to the compositor, through page proofs, to giving the order to print; continuously tracking the production process.
- Ensuring the overall quality of journal’s appearance.
- Overseeing the stable of external proofreaders, including recruiting, vetting, scheduling, assigning work, and processing invoices.
- Providing authors with article proofs, managing author contracts, and vetting author corrections in consultation with the Associate Editor.
- Coordinating with IPS marketing team/UCP on ads for each issue of the journal.
- Maintaining and updating the JPS Style Guide, JPS Spelling Guide, and JPS Design Specs.
- Writing “Palestine Unbound,” a JPS feature that strives to capture popular conversations on Palestine that have gone viral; identifying and pitching stories to the editorial team, collecting images, writing synopses, compiling, and formatting the section.
- Writing a quarterly news release about the JPS featured article & managing its distribution to contacts in academia.
- Collecting images for the photo section, coordinating the final selection process, writing captions under the supervision of the Associate Editor; managing Getty Photos subscription & coordinating purchases with IPS team.
- Updating Salesforce database continuously with scholar information and new JPS content.
- Providing the necessary files for web publication to the IPS content editor, IPS Beirut and Ramallah offices, Columbia International Affairs Online, Maydan, and other platforms.
- Working with designers to develop cover art/choose future color palettes; obtaining and maintaining cover art files a year in advance; managing the processing of all images into the proper format, resolution, size for publication, including scheduling; processing invoices.
- Checking JPS Bibliography for proper format when it comes from the compiler.
- Managing the JPS email account, forwarding submissions correspondence to the managing editor, and other incoming mail to the relevant destination.
- Assisting editorial team to prepare for semi-annual Editorial Committee meetings and attending such meetings, including outside regular office hours (assistance includes setup and breakdown of meeting room and meals, including catered dinner and breakfast, helping secure travel and hotel arrangements) all in consultation with the Associate Editor and the IPS Deputy Director of Operations.
- Representing JPS at local conferences.
- Representing JPS at occasional IPS events such as receptions & seminars outside regular office hours; setting up/working with IPS team as needed.
- Participating in the recruitment, interviewing, hiring, and supervision of seasonal interns as needed.
- Providing other research and administrative support to JPS as necessary.
- Proofreading, copy-editing, and/or press production experience.
- MA degree (Middle East studies or journalism preferred) or BA with 5 years experience.
- Proficiency in applying the Chicago Manual of Style.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook Express, Adobe Creative Suite, Indesign.
The desired candidate will be extremely attentive to detail, meticulous, reliable, self-motivated, highly organized, and able to multitask. They must have an outstanding work ethic and be fully committed to producing a journal of the highest quality. They must also be able to engage in problem-solving and to give and receive constructive criticism while participating actively within a close-knit editorial team. Knowledge of Palestinian affairs and Arabic is preferred but not required.
To apply, submit resumé AND cover letter with “Assistant Editor, Production” in the subject line. No phone calls, please.
IPS is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, or genetic information.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org