The Center for International Private Enterprise (CIPE) strengthens democracy around the globe through private enterprise and market-oriented reform. CIPE is one of the four core institutes of the National Endowment for Democracy. Since 1983, CIPE has worked with business leaders, policymakers, and think tanks to build the civic institutions vital to a democratic society. CIPE’s key program areas include democratic governance, anti-corruption and ethics, business advocacy, enterprise ecosystems, and trade.
Position: Program Officer, Global Programs
Reports to: Director, Global Programs
Summary: CIPE is seeking a full-time, Washington, DC-based Program Officer for its Global department. This position is responsible for management of multiregional projects as well as providing thought leadership with a particular focus on the role of technology in democratic and economic development, including the engagement of the private sector from emerging markets in shaping digital economy and open internet. The candidate must be able to handle multiple detail-oriented tasks with limited supervision, have excellent writing and communications skills, demonstrate interest in democratic and market-oriented reform, and work well in a team. Candidates should be enthusiastic about the role the private sector plays in international development and democratic governance.
Position available: Immediately
- Work with colleagues to develop annual strategy, objectives, and priorities for the Global Programs department and align them with CIPE’s mission and organizational objectives.
- Develop, implement, monitor, and evaluate projects spanning multiple regions and partner organizations:
- Manage day-to-day activities and budgets for CIPE projects, both implemented directly by CIPE and by CIPE partners/grantees, including effective communication with donors, partners, regional staff, and CIPE management and finance departments to ensure compliance with project objectives and reporting requirements.
- Help identify and formulate new project concepts and develop funding proposals, including project narratives and budgets.
- Monitor, evaluate, and report project results and impact.
- Handle project administration, including invoices, contracts, and payment requests as needed.
- Serve as a thought leader on digital economy and internet-based projects, with a focus on the role of private businesses and entrepreneurs in shaping relevant policies and standards at the county and global levels.
- Write/research/edit articles, reports, case studies, blogs, and other publications to advance CIPE’s thought leadership in the field of democracy, technology, and development.
- Liaise with counterparts at the National Endowment for Democracy (NED), CIPE’s main donor and other NED institutes.
- Establish and maintain relationships with other donor organizations to identify linkages with CIPE strategies, monitor trends, and assess new funding opportunities.
- Work closely and serve as a resource to regional CIPE departments on CIPE’s core thematic areas of focus.
- Manage consultants hired to complete specific tasks or produce materials within the framework of Global department’s projects.
- Demonstrate ability to supervise, develop, and manage junior staff and interns.
- Adhere to appropriate CIPE, NED and the U.S. Chamber of Commerce policies and procedures.
- 5-7 years professional program management experience showing proven track record in successful project, budget, and staff management.
- Experience working with organizations focused on technology tools, policy, and/or advocacy at the intersection of technology and democracy and economic development (i.e. ICT4D).
- Experience in working with business associations or chambers of commerce (domestically or internationally) preferred, with good understanding of association operations, including relevant management and technology tools, as well as policy advocacy.
- Educational and/or professional background in at least one of the following relevant areas beyond technology & democracy, internet freedom, digital economy, and digital rights: non-profit governance and management; policy advocacy and policy reform; private sector development; or business transparency and sustainability.
- Master’s degree in one of the following fields: economics, economic development, international business, public policy, international relations, international law, or a related technical field required.
- Demonstrated writing, proofreading, and research skills.
- Experience in international development and topics consistent with CIPE mission, including democratic governance, corporate governance, business association advocacy, entrepreneurship, and others. Strong organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills.
- Master’s degree or equivalent experience in International Relations or related field
- Demonstrated strong critical thinking and analytical skills
- Excellent English writing and verbal skills
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Demonstrated ability to develop, establish and maintain good relationships with international partners and donors
- Strong project management skills
- Good financial acumen and ability to develop, manage, and monitor project budgets
- Strong attention to detail and ability to handle multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment
- Strong presentation skills
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Demonstrated ability to develop, manage, and supervise junior staff
- Strong IT Skills in MS Office, specifically MS Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint
- Ability to handle multiple, detail-oriented tasks with limited supervision.
- Foreign language ability helpful but not required.
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally as required by project activities.
Please send cover letter, resume or CV, and brief writing sample (no more than 4 pages) to [email protected] with ‘GLPO-[YOURLASTNAME]’ in the subject line.
Cover letters should address and convey familiarity and experience with CIPE’s thematic areas of expertise. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
CIPE offers a salary competitive with other international non-governmental organizations and an excellent benefits package. Applicants must be legally able to work in the United States. CIPE is unable to sponsor employees for work visas. CIPE is an Equal Opportunity Employer.