We are looking for a person who can enable the confedertation’s leaders and members to best fulfil their work within the framework of the confederation’s strategy. You will facilitate the development of coherent policy and advocacy strategies, coordinate their implementation and oversee their evaluation, in close cooperation with the relevant groups and CONCORD structures. In 2017, the focus will be on Financing for Development and EU Funding. You will also support strategic and generic policy & advocacy work and contribute to inter-team coordination.
You must be interested in working for a confederation of NGOs whose vision is of a world in which poverty and inequality have been ended; in which decisions are based on social justice, gender equality and upon our responsibility to future generations; where every person has the right to live in dignity, on an equal basis, free from poverty and sustainability.
You will be
- A skilled policy and advocacy professional with a good understanding of the EU policymaking and influencing strategies;
- Enthusiastic about facilitating, convening, supporting activities by members more than actually ‘doing’ yet able to speak out confidently in public on CONCORD’s priority issues;
- You will understand and be committed to CONCORD’s vision and goals and be interested in CONCORD’s capacity to pursue a transformational agenda;
- You will have confidence and fluency in communicating on CONCORD’s work in your areas of focus.
Main responsibilities and tasks
Coordination of, enabling and facilitating CONCORD working structures, including planning and reporting
This includes activities such as:
- Supports and facilitates the leadership of our working structure or hub on financing for development;
- Mobilizes membership engagement, coordinates and provides strategic input, builds capacity;
- Facilitates the preparation of the annual workplan, monitors its implementation and prepares the reporting;
- Oversees the budget planning and implementation;
- Provides strategic guidance to the members on matters of EU policy
- Organises the meetings of CONCORD thematic hubs;
- Facilitates the work of CONCORD members’ workstream and ensures cohrerence with agreed change objectives;
- Facilitates the strategic relations of above working structures with policy/political targets and participates in lobby meetings;
- Monitors the EU institutions on priority issues; maintains a useful network of contacts in institutions and amongst CSOs and facilitate CONCORD’S influencing work;
- Faciltiates the production and launch of the annual publications (such as the Aidwatch report) and policy papers and briefings, including mamanging and cooridnating the consultants involved;
- Occasionnally prepares presentations, speeches, articles and undertakes public representation for advocacy purposes;
Contribute to generic policy and advocacy work and the internal coordination and collaboration
This includes activities such as:
- Actively contributes to CONCORD policy team and staff meetings (occasionally steers them) and other relevant policy and advocacy meetings of CONCORD;
- Provides strategic advice and prepares key messages and speeches for designaetd CONCORD representatives;
- Provides support to inter-team and generic work of the Secretariat if and where needed;
- Answers requests from targets, researchers amongst others and links them up with relevant members and stakeholders;
- Supports the organisation of CONCORD General Assemblies.
- Knowledge of how to influence EU decision-making processes through advocacy and effective communication in CONCORD’s policy space;
- An excellent team-player with a positive attitude, constructive communication skills and a high sense of integrity who can work effectively and cooperatively with others towards shared goals;
- Strong organizational skills for convening and facilitating workshops and for planning and managing workplans and budgets;
- An ability to work independently and proactively within member-driven dynamics;
- Respects and expresses sensitivity towards gender, cultural and religious differences;
- Fluency in written and spoken English is essential, knowledge of other languages is also an asset;
- Financial literacy and ability to plan and manage budgets;
- Analytical and problem solving skills;
- Ability to communicate complex information clearly.
- Relevant and proven working experience in a member organisation, liason office or coalition;
- Experience coordinating or building effective partnerships with a wide range of stakeholders;
- Demonstrable knowledge of the EU institutions and their policy processes;
- Experience in managing budgets;
- Experience of working in or with civil society would be an advantage;
- Some knowledge of ODA, development effectiveness and/or EU funding would be an asset;
- Experience of working in an international group and/or a multi-cultural environment would be an advantage.
Post based in Brussels, Belgium
100% permanent post
Reporting to Director and Head of Policy and Advocacy
Grade – Coordinator
Gross salary, depending on experience, will be from € 3.140 – 3.570 per month (13.8 months a year).
CONCORD also provides hospitalisation insurance, meal vouchers and a monthly commuting allowance on local public transport or by bicycle.
Please submit your one page cover letter explaining why you are interested in the job and your relevant experience and CV by e-mail to [email protected] by midnight CET on Sunday 26th August 2018.
Please include the position (CONCORD – Policy and Advocacy Coordinator) plus your name in the subject of the email.
Due to the volume of applications, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org