The Office of Communications plays a central role in the work of the Foundations by coordinating and strengthening the public presence of the global network and by helping to advance relevant issues. Communications works to raise the Foundations' public profile by promoting the network's many noteworthy achievements as well as responding to attacks from opponents of open society around the world. The department employs media outreach, publications, and the web to assist dozens of Open Society foundations and programs in their communications efforts. Job Profile
The Office of Communications seeks a mid-level communications professional to be based in our London office. The European communications officer will contribute to and implement communications and outreach strategies of the Open Society Foundations and work closely with different parts of the organization on their communications needs.
The communications officer is part of a tightly-knit, collaborative and fast-paced global team. They will be responsible for drafting and editing all forms of content from blogs to op-eds, identifying and pitching stories, and quickly turning around media inquiries. Ideal candidates will have a journalism and / or communications / media background, experience with crisis communications, expertise in European politics and/or civil society, excellent writing skills and solid judgment on how to highlight issues through different mediums.
Typical duties and responsibilities include the following:
- Responsible for contributing to, communicating and executing complex media and communications strategies inside the organization and/or in the fields of specialization with associated budgets and work plans.
Media Relations and Writing
- Identify communications and media opportunities to better shape and amplify Open Society issues and grantees;
- Draft OpEds, press releases, letters-to-the editor, blogs, media advisories, and communications plans;
- Successfully pitch stories in high profile media and promote content in social media;
- Position key Open Society Foundations' messages, people, and grantees, in print, online, broadcast, radio, and other media;
- Establish and cultivate relationships with local and regional print, broadcast, radio, and online media in Europe and elsewhere;
- Elevate the Open Society Foundations' work, advising colleagues of important developments and media opportunities;
- Identify possible communications and media risks and develop strategies to mitigate them; handle communications crises.
- Produce and curate web material;
- Develop and implement social media strategies;
- Work closely with the digital team to implement overall digital strategy for the organization.
Training and Networking
- Develop and conduct Communications trainings for program staff and grantees;
- Build and maintain strong relationships with key partners internally and externally across cultures and geographies.
- Over eight years' relevant communications experience, including experience in journalism, PR, communications management, and development of communications strategies;
- Strong knowledge and understanding of European politics, civil society, and human rights issues;
- Demonstrated practical experience in press outreach and digital communications; strong understanding of social media strategy;
- Excellent skills in writing for and pitching to media;
- Strong media contacts in Europe;
- Willingness to travel extensively for work;
- Strong project management skills;
- Proactive problem solver with a high level of self-motivation, initiative, and creativity;
- Diplomatic manner and ability to adapt to a range of cultures and experiences in interacting with program management, colleagues at all levels, contacts, and the public.
Application Instructions: *Please upload a cover letter
outlining your interest in this role and the Open Society Foundations, CV
and published writing sample
as one document when submitting an application. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Competitive salary and benefits package; please inquire at [email protected]
We are strengthened by the diversity of our colleagues across the Open Society Foundations, and we welcome and actively seek applications from people of all cultures, backgrounds, and experiences.