CNNPolitics is hiring an Associate Writer!
See what it’s like to work at CNN! Follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook.
Associate writers for CNN Politics' breaking news team will report, write, package and publish quick takes on daily news events for the largest news audience on the Internet. All associate writers are obsessed with accuracy. This position is primarily a writing role built around monitoring internal news gathering threads, on-air interviews and reporting, and competing news outlets' coverage to coordinate with editors about needed content for CNN platforms.
The team adheres to the highest standards of journalism. Associates on the team will collaborate with colleagues across CNN, including news gathering and social discovery, photography and field reporters, to report, fact check and prioritize news items.
What will you be doing?
- Conceptualize, write and edit content focused on a user-driven strategy that understands the nuances of packaging content for the web, mobile web, social (primarily Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat, and leading social messaging apps), and apps.
- Generate story ideas.
- Work with editors to produce sections, special coverage pages, or the home page as needed.
- Pitch non-breaking stories as time allows and news warrants.
- Create sharp headlines.
- Conduct phone interviews and cover Washington events as needed.
- Gather facts and fact check.
- Contribute to special features and stories.
- Use a presence on social media to gather and check information.
- Interact with internal and external peers and managers to exchange information related to assigned activities.
- Receive work in the form of short-term assignments that require the application of independent judgement.
- Work subject to regular supervisory review at regular intervals.
- Operate within the context of defined procedures.
- Write with clarity, voice and context.
- Demonstrate a high pace of activity and deep curiosity about current events/Show a high level of flexibility and the ability to juggle multiple tasks at once.
What do we need from you?
- 1-2 years of progressively related experience.
- Basic understanding of news and high interest in politics and policy.
- Basic understanding of storytelling.
- Excellent writer
- College degree
But wait, there’s more!
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org