The National Democratic Institute for International Affairs (NDI) is seeking a Resident Director with political party strengthening and/or civic engagement experience to oversee the implementation of its democracy support programs in Thailand. S/he will possess strong management skills and prior experience implementing democracy development programs, preferably in Asia. S/he will primarily be based in Bangkok, with significant travel throughout Thailand’s provinces as necessary.
The Director will be responsible for overall office management, including financial and human resource management, as well as supervisory responsibility for the design, implementation and evaluation of all NDI Thailand programs. The Director will provide leadership and oversight to a team of talented national staff. S/he will be NDI’s principal liaison with the donor community, representatives from the Thai government, local political parties and civil society organizations, U.S. Department of State, the National Endowment for Democracy (NED) and other donors. Close coordination will also be expected with NDI Washington, including frequent communication with the Washington-based staff.
- Oversee program implementation to ensure NDI is meeting stated program goals;
- Provide management and oversight of local staff;
- Coordinate with Thai and international partners on the implementation of any joint programming;
- Establish and maintain close working relationships with political parties, government officials and civil society groups in Thailand, as well as the U.S. Embassy in Bangkok, the U.S. Department of State, the NED, other implementing partners, and local/international non-governmental organizations;
- Proactively design and propose draft concept notes, statements of interest, proposals, and other new technical tools in collaboration with the Washington DC-based staff for use with possible U.S. and non-U.S. government funders;
- Ensure adherence to NDI Washington and Thai policies and procedures, as well as to funder/donor regulations;
- Ensure the integrity of and justification for all financial transactions in NDI’s Thailand office;
- Report on program activities and political developments in Thailand that may affect program outcomes to the Washington, D.C.-based staff on a regular basis;
- Oversee the development, review and timely submission of program-related materials, including regular reports that measure and evaluate program results.
- Undergraduate degree in political science, international relations, public policy, international development or a related field is required. Graduate degree is preferred;
- A minimum of 14 years of experience managing programs for the Resident Director position;
- A minimum of five (5) years of experience in political party strengthening and civic engagement with an emphasis on youth participation;
- Capacity to develop solid working relationship with senior government officials, local governments, non-governmental institutions and the donor community;
- Experience working in a developing country and/or Asia; Southeast Asia experience preferred;
- Experience in results-oriented program design, strategic planning, and program implementation and evaluation;
- Exceptional cultural sensitivity and interpersonal and managerial skills to effectively interact with all levels of staff, U.S. and foreign government personnel, members of donor organizations, funders and policy-makers;
- Proven capacity to meet program goals while managing financial and administrative responsibilities;
- Superior oral and written communications skills to effectively present information in a clear and persuasive manner in English;
- Exceptional analytical skills for interpreting complex program and political issues;
- Ability to adjust programmatic activities based on changing political circumstances and in response to needs articulated by local partners and program stakeholders;
- Experience in implementing NED and/or U.S. Department of State-funded international development programs strongly preferred;
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel; experience with Google Apps (Gmail, Google Calendar, Drive, etc.) strongly desired.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org