Social Impact is a global development management consulting firm. We provide monitoring, evaluation, strategic planning, and capacity building services to advance development effectiveness. We work across all development sectors including democracy and governance, health and education, the environment, and economic growth. Since 1997 we have worked in over 100 countries for clients such as US government agencies, bilateral donors, multilateral development banks, foundations, and nonprofits.
Social Impact is a trusted provider of independent, rigorous impact evaluations. SI’s Impact Evaluation (IE) Division emphasizes methodological rigor, while realizing that each evaluation occurs in a unique operating environment. We customize every impact evaluation to meet client needs and to align with programmatic realities. SI frequently employs mixed-methods approaches, building on the strength of both quantitative and qualitative techniques, rather than relying on a narrow set of design options. Utilizing a range of impact evaluation methodologies, including randomized control trials (RCTs) and a suite of quasi-experimental designs, we draw from deep expertise with up to date, effective, and innovative methodologies and data collection techniques. SI IE staff possess in-depth knowledge of emerging and innovative evaluation trends. Our team has experience using up-to-date methodologies including a full suite of experimental and quasi-experimental methods, electronic and mobile data collection, sensors, randomized response strategies, geospatial data collection and analysis, and others.
This position supports SI’s Impact Evaluation division, primarily responsible for managing a portfolio of IEs for USAID, the Millennium Challenge Corporation (MCC), The US Department of State, The World Bank, or other donor agencies and organizations. The Program Manager reports to Project Directors on individual projects and a Deputy Director or Senior Program Manager as their main supervisor. This is a full-time, HQ-based position.
Service Delivery (75%)
PMs are expected to manage a portfolio of evaluations, carrying out core managerial and coordination functions, and participating in technical work as appropriate, with oversight by Project Directors and other senior technical project staff. PMs are responsible for delegating to and overseeing the work of junior staff on individual contracts, and coordinating with consultants, subcontractors, and clients. PMs will manage evaluations through their life cycle from start-up and design phases through multiple rounds of data collection, analysis, reporting, and dissemination. Specific responsibilities may include:
- Establish, monitor, and update evaluation work plans and budgets.
- Coordinate evaluation team inputs for contract deliverables.
- Oversee mobilization and logistical preparations for evaluation team travel.
- Serve as a responsive point of contact for clients, and support contract reporting requirements.
- Work with Finance Department to ensure that financial reporting requirements are met, to monitor project financial status, and ensure compliance with evaluation budgets.
- Identify and recruit personnel for evaluation contracts as needed.
- Identify and assist in selecting local data collection partners.
Technical Service Delivery
- Assure high quality deliverables and evaluation reports.
- Conduct background research for the development of IE designs and data collection instruments.
- Oversee the work of local data collection contractors and conduct regular quality control on quantitative and qualitative datasets, using SI’s standard quality control processes.
- Participate in technical work as needed and appropriate, including evaluation design, data collection and analysis, and client reporting and dissemination.
- As appropriate, the manager will be asked to participate in field work, such as data collection, capacity building, program monitoring, or evaluation design, with evaluation teams. These tasks will be graduated to match level of proficiency and skill.
Business Development/Revenue Generation (10-15%):
- The PM is expected to support marketing, business and proposal development related to new IE opportunities and, as time permits, other evaluation-related new bids. The manager may be asked to write technical proposals, review draft proposals, and work with the Finance Department to develop budgets.
Other Management Functions (10-15%):
The PM may also be asked to support other service area management functions from time to time, and is expected to participate in and/or lead internal initiatives in the Impact Evaluation division as opportunities arise, and as availability allows.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Demonstrated ability to oversee and manage multiple projects simultaneously and provide advice and guidance in a timely fashion.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise good judgment and communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Demonstrated expertise in impact evaluation, including familiarity with IE methodologies as well as experience with large-scale surveys and data collection.
- Demonstrated ability to oversee team mobilization, written research products, and quality assurance processes.
- Knowledge of government and/or donor contracting practices.
- Demonstrated ability to understand and implement pertinent company and client policies and procedures clearly and accurately.
Education and Experience:
- Master’s degree in International Relations, International Development, Economics, Public Policy, Political Science, or related subject.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience with at least 2 years of managing development projects or evaluations.
- Academic training and/or practical experience in quantitative research/evaluation including familiarity with IE designs such as RCTs and/or quasi-experimental designs.
- Field experience in managing/participating in quantitative evaluations strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated experience managing or carrying out qualitative, geospatial, or other kinds of data collection is a plus.
- Ability to travel overseas for short-term assignments.
- Demonstrated ability to write clearly.
- Proactive, self-starting, and strong attention to detail.
- Deadline-oriented; ability to follow through on multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent verbal communication and writing skills.
- Working knowledge of MS Office suite.
- Experience working with USAID, MCC, or USG client preferred.
- Experience working in developing countries.
- Proficiency in a foreign language, such as Spanish or French, a plus.
- Demonstrated familiarity with any of the following sectors a plus: early childhood education, youth development, child protection, land tenure, transport infrastructure.
- Knowledge of and practical hands-on experience with Stata and electronic data collection programs (ODK, SurveyCTO) strongly preferred.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org