Org. Setting and Reporting
The United Nations Environment Programme (UN Environment) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment. UN Environment's Ecosystems Division works with international and national partners, providing technical assistance and advisory services for the implementation of environmental policy, and strengthening the environmental management capacity of developing countries and countries with economies in transition. This post is located in Ecosystem Division at the Coordinating Unit for the Mediterranean Action Plan - Barcelona Convention Secretariat (MAP) in the Athens duty station. Under the direct supervision of the Deputy Director, MAP Athens, the incumbent will be responsible for the support and development of the 2023 Mediterranean Quality Status Report to demonstrate the progress made towards Good Environmental Status and its related targets as follows:
- Participates in the development, implementation and evaluation of assigned programmes/projects/activities with an emphasis on (i) identifying and overcoming the knowledge gaps that are recognized in the 2017 Mediterranean Quality Status Report (QSR) and (ii) enhancing the capacity of Contracting Parties to deliver the second Mediterranean Quality Status Report in 2023;
- Researches, analyzes and presents information gathered from diverse sources related to the state of the Mediterranean marine and coastal environment, with particular attention to biodiversity and non-indigenous species, keeping abreast with major developments of marine science and biodiversity related developments at the global and regional level;
- Follows in collaboration with UN Environment/MAP Regional Activity Centre for Specially protected areas (SPA/RAC) the development and implementation of the Integrated Monitoring and Assessment Programme (IMAP) in relation to biodiversity and Non-Indigenous Species ensuring coordination with General Fisheries Commission for the Mediterranean (GFCM); and undertakes priority activities identified by Contracting Parties as necessary to ensure successful delivery of the 2023 Mediterranean Quality Status Report, with a specific focus on biodiversity and Non-Indigenous Species;
- Coordinates with respective UN Environment/MAP components to ensure their timely input into the 2023 Mediterranean Quality Status Report;
- Supports the development of an IMAP compatible information and data sharing system in line with specific needs of the development of the 2023 Mediterranean Quality Status Report in consultation with UN Environment/MAP Regional Activity Centre for Information and Communication (INFO/RAC);
- Develops proposals for the publication of the QSR online and in hard copy, in terms of graphics, images, visual presentation, etc. and possible partners for such publication;
- Prepares various written outputs, e.g. draft background papers, analysis, sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications, etc.;
- Keeps abreast and analyzes initiatives by other actors, most importantly Regional Sea Programmes, similar or of relevance to the development of the QSR;
- Provides substantive support to consultative and other meetings, conferences, etc., to include proposing agenda topics, identifying participants, preparation of documents and presentations, etc.;
- Undertakes outreach activities in cooperation with the relevant UN Agencies and national coordinators; conducts training workshops, seminars, etc. to enable full participation of the Mediterranean developing states in the development of the QSR; makes presentations on assigned topics/activities;
- Participates in or lead field missions, including provision of guidance to external consultants, government officials and other parties and drafting mission summaries, etc.;
- Undertake activities related to budget and funding (programme/project preparation and submissions, progress reports, financial statements, etc.) and prepares related documents/reports (pledging, work programme, programme budget, etc.) related to QSR preparation;
- Performs other related duties as required.
- PROFESSIONALISM: Knowledge and understanding of theories, concepts and approaches relevant to particular sector, functional area or other specialized field. Ability to identify issues, analyze and participate in the resolution of issues/problems. Ability to conduct data collection using various methods. Conceptual analytical and evaluative skills to conduct independent research and analysis, including familiarity with and experience in the use of various research sources, including electronic sources on the internet, intranet and other databases. Ability to apply judgment in the context of assignments given, plan own work and manage conflicting priorities. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work;
- TEAMWORK: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings;
- PLANNING AND ORGANIZING: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- An advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in environmental studies (marine environment, chemical, biological oceanography, etc.), sustainable development, or a related field is required. A first-level university degree in combination with two (2) additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of five (5) years of progressively responsible experience in the field of environmental management and assessment, preferably with a focus on marine and coastal environment and biodiversity, including at least two (2) years at the international level is required.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required. Working knowledge of French is desirable. Knowledge of another UN official language is desirable.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org