Transparentem is a discreet, non-profit unit that illuminates supply chains and spurs eradication of human and environmental abuses. We use frontline investigative reporting and forensic methods in compliance with international ethical standards. A public service initiative, Transparentem is a sentinel, not a saboteur, to industries at inflection points. We believe that securing and improving the lives and environments of workers at all tiers of off-shored industry must start with independent, methodical inquiry.
After an investigation, we deliver our findings to select entities best positioned to leverage their influence to positively impact vulnerable populations and remediate degraded environments. Transparentem does not publish the products of its investigations.
We are seeking a Senior Social Impact Analyst to join our Strategic Engagement team. The team develops the remediation recommendations for each report and performs due diligence for each investigation by conducting secondary research and consulting labor and environmental experts and government agencies. In addition, the Strategic Engagement team serves as an in-house industry expert to the rest of the organization. We are currently focused on the apparel, accessories, and footwear industries.
The candidate who fills this position will have a strong background in labor rights advocacy or labor law and will:
- Identify and benchmark best practices for remediation for specific human rights and environmental abuses to inform plans of action for brands and retailers;
- Conduct due diligence on potential remediation partners, such as country-specific NGOs and international organizations;
- Articulate how existing human rights standards should apply to the findings of Transparentem’s investigations;
- Develop strategies for using Transparentem’s strategic engagement to improve companies’ human rights protections in their corporate policies;
- Identify key metrics for evaluating company responses to Transparentem’s investigations;
- Recommend advocacy strategies for implementation by companies, investors, NGOs, or others to catalyze industry shifts that improve conditions for workers in supply chains;
- Serve as Transparentem’s in-house social impact expert throughout the course of entire supply chain investigations;
- Keep abreast of relevant research, trends, and news.
What we’re looking for
We are looking for individuals with:
- Understanding of issues facing workers throughout supply chains, from final manufacturing facilities to raw material production, and of the role of the private sector in promoting human rights and sustainable development;
- Ability to conduct both desk- and interview-based research to develop remediation strategies for specific labor rights abuses, within a variety of country contexts;
- Familiarity with best practices globally sourcing corporations must adopt to ensure protection of workers’ rights, support for decent working conditions, and development of ethical supply chains;
- Ability to convincingly articulate how companies can demonstrate leadership in social responsibility practices, and passionate interest in corporate accountability;
- Knowledge of ongoing efforts to use business strategies to create social impact, as undertaken by labor rights groups, multi-stakeholder initiatives (MSIs), industry associations, non-profit organizations;
- Creative thinking on strategies for collaboration between companies, governments, and NGOs to improve industry practices as a result of specific Transparentem investigations;
- Fluency in English;
- An advanced degree in supply chain management, business administration, human rights, law, journalism, or other relevant field preferred;
- U.S. work authorization required.
The role reports to the Vice President of Strategic Engagement.
Transparentem is an equal opportunity employer. We embrace diversity and encourage all interested candidates to apply. Please send a resume and cover letter with the subject line “Your Full Name_Senior Social Impact Analyst” to [email protected]. In your cover letter, please indicate where you found the job posting.
Start Date: Immediate
Compensation: Competitive salary and benefits package, commensurate with experience.
Location: Washington D.C. or Brooklyn, NY